Author Topic: Cowhorn for nocks: how big?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Cowhorn for nocks: how big?
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:26:31 am »
I've found some cowhorn on an auction website. It is fairly cheap, and for me it looks like a good opportunity to get some cowhorn. I can order waterbuffalo, but cow horn is more difficult to get. Who would have guessed that in the land of cows and milk, the Netherlands?
Anyway, my question is: how big should the horns be, before the tip is solid enough to give me a good nock? I intend to make ELB-style nocks, so not just overlays. Basically Chris' process.

These are the pictures of the actual lot I am eyeballing:

One tile is 1 foot square. Are these horns big enough?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Cowhorn for nocks: how big?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:00:27 am »
I would guess that at least 2" or maybe a little more of the tip should be solid. Much further toward the base would probably be getting to thin. Hard to know for sure...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:17:59 am »
The last 2" or so should indeed be solid for the design of nocks I have in mind. But will these horns pictured above be solid for the last 2"? When are they big enough?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:08 am »
I have a few the same size as the horns in the pic and they are solid for the last 1 3/4" to 2" excetp for two horns, which were solid for 4".  It probably would depend on the breed of cow, diet, etc. 

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:25:22 am »
You can always use the cowhorn in combination with another material if need be. A little more trouble, but I like the look of a well made tip with a couple of different materials...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline african man

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
I would cut off about 3" and see how deep the core goes , you can then cut it back to the solid tip. You can have a bit of a hole in the horn before cutting your tapper in , as long as it's smaller than the tip of your stave. Show us some pics of how you get on

Chris  ;)
we all die but we all don't live