Author Topic: First Wood Bow.....Suprisingly a success!!  (Read 6035 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: First Wood Bow.....Suprisingly a success!!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 08:24:07 am »
lookin good. your right, the tiller is off a little, but that will come with the shavings! great job for your first one though, from what i can see, the glue lines look pretty good, and i like the handle too. ya ought to try a hickory backed red oak, or just an air backed red oak for the next one, just my 2 cents  ;D

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:19 am »
Nice bow for your first...time for another one! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 09:10:52 am »
Congratulations on your first ! It wasn't until my fourth that I got a shooter that held up. As you can tell by the comments, your options are unlimited as to what to build next :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:47 am »
Nice first bow! You can cut an inch off the bottom limb and stiffen it enough to work the hinge out with out dropping poundage too much. Make your self a tillering gizmo to use on your next one, no more hinges.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047

Aosda

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »
Eric,

I had found your thread while getting the idea to build a bow, and used a piece of red oak as the tool.  That's why the top limb came out nice.  I think I just hit a weak spot in the board and when I removed where the pencil was on the bottom limb, the hinge started.  I stayed away from it the rest of the tillering.  But, yeah great post on that tool, mine's not as elaborate as yours though.  Just used a cut off scrap from the board, made sure it was square, and put a hole in it.  Thanks for the knowledge.