Author Topic: Hardwood shaft ??  (Read 3104 times)

Offline IONIAN

Hardwood shaft ??
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:03:49 am »
  What hardwood do you guys cosider the best for arrow shafts? I know ash and hickory get a bad rap due to the straightness issue, but I think if you split the shafts it shouldn't be as big a problem. What do you think?
"aim small, miss small"

Offline billy

Re: Hardwood shaft ??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:08 am »
actually I think they make very good arrows (hickory and ash).  I've made my hickory arrows from long splits, then whittled them round with a small wood plane.  The arrows are heavy and fly beautifully.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:03:52 pm »
Ash is quite straight- hickory gives you trouble. Birch is a really good one, but it warps too.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:28:20 pm »
If you want something in a medium weight range then give Poplar a try if you haven't already. Better still, footed poplar shafts .

ART B

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:16:54 pm »
Birch dowels or chinese privet shoots.  I'd make arrows out of ipe too if it didn't take so darn long.  Those are my favorites.

*Edit*  That didn't make much sense. :-\

Birch and privet are my favorites.  They are very light in color (which gives me a wide range of shades if I decide to stain them), are relatively easy to straighten, and resemble red osier and yaupon holly respectively (which is great for reproductions).

I've made ipe foreshafts (and arrowheads) and it would be great for arrow shafting if it wasn't so hard on my tools.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:53:25 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »
I have used ash shafting for deer and elk.. very heavy though.. but tough as nails.. you will need a good strong bow and seal them really good or they will warp.. I burn mine in a spiral  pattern to straighten them and seal with minwax stain .. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:41:21 pm »
I've shot hickory for years,and yes they can be very taxing on the mind.Very few stay staight all the time.

If you can dowell some straight grained osage they will do the job required very well.