Author Topic: White Oak board bow  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Bentstick81

White Oak board bow
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:37:09 am »
  A friend of mine had a nice white oak board with very few run off's. The moisture content was 12%. Trying to get it about 10% before tillering it.  I am going to try and make a 72" bow that is 1-1/2", 6" stiff handle, pyramid limb to 3/8" tips. Shooting for 45-50# @ 28'. Never made one out of White Oak. Does the white oak need backed with hickory, or could a guy get by without backing, or at least burlap backing? Thanks

Offline Kegan

Re: White Oak board bow
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 09:41:18 am »
I've made a couple bows from white oak, and my current "go to" bow is a white oak ELB with a built up leather handle- so it's shot like an ALB. It's tough to lower moisture content (harder than hickory at times) but it's also veyr strong in tension. You might not even need a backing.

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:17:38 am »
It should be fine, I have made a couple of white oak board bows. I am working on one right now that is 66" ntn and have it backed with raw hide. I have it worked to 25" of draw going for 29" for a friend. For the poundage and length I don't feel it needs a backing, however I probably still would for security.

Trey

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:43:59 am »
  What moisture content would a guy want? Is twelve too much to start tillering?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:02:55 am »
Quit worrying about the moisture content and make your bow. ;) You will be able to tell if it is too wet by the sound of your scraper and rasp and by the recovery of the limbs as you get them to bend.   12% isn't too bad anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC