Author Topic: basalt  (Read 4335 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
basalt
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:09:08 pm »
bassalt can be a knappable stone. i was wondering if the extremely hard, heavy, and porus stuff we have around here is knappable? is there any way to treat this stuff or any special way to break it if its really tough? when the stuff fractures it is very sharp. if there is a way to make an actual point from this with the holes in it i think it would make a pretty cool looking point.

here is a pic

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: basalt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:58 pm »
I wouldn't have much hope for that, too grainy and full of holes. Some of the better grades of basalt are good rock, I've worked some from Arizona and Mexico that was excellent.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:36:56 pm »
i agree with hillbilly.that stuff looks like lava rock...you want to find basalt that is fine grained the finer the better.if you can find some with out holes you might have a shot at it..john

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:18:14 pm »
cool ty, yah i had loose hope. the hills around my moms house are full of this stuff, feels like iron, some doesnt have any holes but we have elensburg blues and agate all over in the hills, hope to find some bigger than a golfball but not likely. :D

thank you

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:51:10 pm »

I found some small pebbles of very fine-grained basalt when I lived in oregon...it knapped really well and was almost like slightly tougher Dacite.  It worked great.  If you can find some of that, it would work.  But then again, if you want to try to make a point out of that stuff, be my guest.  I'll bet it would sound like a pipe organ if you actually made a point out of it, tied it to an arrow and then shot it....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DustinDees

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:25:46 pm »
LOL might sound like one of those nerf whistling footballs..... now im going to have to try it

Dustin D