Author Topic: Had my first blow up last night.  (Read 2500 times)

bearbowman

Had my first blow up last night.
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
I am a new bowyer. I have been reading books for years and thought I was ready.
I bought two hickory board staves from rudder bows archery. I made a flat limbed bow first and my second was a pyramid style.
The pyramid bow "was"a shooter. Last night I took it out to shoot and excercised it a little and then came to full draw and POW! The top 1/3rd of the limb went flying directly away from me. No warning at all. The spot that it broke was a little stiff until last week when I finally realized it and fixed it.
Do you guys think it broke because I shot it so long with that stiff spot before I fixed it?
I won't be posting pictures. It's too painful. I absolutely loved that bow.

Offline 22arrows

Re: Had my first blow up last night.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »
bearbowman,
Like u I am new at this also and had my first bow blow up on me as well. I don't have any in site as to why your bow went, just that I feel your pain. Best thing I can say from what others fellas told me is to just get back at it. If your gonna build wooden bows; having some break is just part of it. ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:48:09 pm by 22arrows »

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:41:15 pm »
Yep, If you ain't breakin em, you ain't makin em ! Sorry for you'r loss. Get back on the horse and ride ! :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:03:50 pm »
I'm sorry you broke your favorite bow. :(  Studying the break will give you insight into why it broke. Pics will help us determine why it broke. Sometimes you have to bare a bit of pain to find the truth.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:05:59 pm »
Unless you've buried the bow or cremated it...pictures would help possibly with why the bow broke. I'm sure you learned a lot from making it, and maybe something can be learned from it failing. All of this can be applied to your next bow, so don't look at it as a failure, but rather a learning experience.

It is painful when you've put so much time and a piece of yourself into it...most of us have been there. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:23:14 pm »
Sorry about your bow. It's part of the learning curve. Learn from it and make another ;)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »
I dont know why it broke but being a board bow I think its usually a good Idea to put on some type of a backing. Im assuming it was not backed? Not that a backing is necessary but it can be good insurance. :)  Well  its now time to make another. Try not to get attached until you shoot it a bunch. Way easier said than done though I know ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

bearbowman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »
No it wasn't backed. Like I said I am already building the next one. My first from a stave.

I guess I'll post some painful pictures tomorrow.

I feel like this is a support group. Kind of funny if you think about it. Imagine all of us sitting in a circle and I stand up and say" hi my name is Bob and I broke my first bow last night".

Just thought that was funny.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:54:09 pm »
Believe me! we have all been in your boots and we do sit around and say...Hi, my name is Pat and I am an archery addict. What do you think the Tennessee Classic is? ::)  That is our yearly meeting. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bearbowman

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 04:20:40 pm »
Wish I could make it. Maybe I need an intervention.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:17:31 pm »
I am no bowyer , only a hunter.. but I built a short osage flatbow that shot great for about fifty shots... the bowyers on here looked at the pics and El destructo said Back the bow...I didn't listen and she broke on me that day.. sorry for your loss brother, I can relate... get these bowyers to help you out on the next stave, and i would bet the next one may be the next BOM. happy huntin.. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston