Author Topic: 52" Juniper bamboo backed bow *help*  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Colt45

• =]
52" Juniper bamboo backed bow *help*
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:31:11 pm »
I'm working on a Juniper bow it is 52" long. It's going to be very light, possibly 30 pounds. I plan on backing in with bamboo. We have bamboo shoots about 2 1/2"- 3" in diameter and I was wondering what the best way to go about backing it would be? Also I wanted to recurve it too. Thank You!!  :] Oh by the way the juniper is from southern UT I'm not sure what species it is.
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 52" Juniper bamboo backed bow *help*
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »
Split the bamboo into thirds then sand the inside until you have a flat surface.  If you are really lucky you will have a piece wide enough back the bow.  Where in Southern Utah?  It is more than likely One Seed Juniper. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:35:59 am »
I believe you've met Justin Milbrandt, my older brother. I am Colton Milbrandt, and I live in St. George Utah same as you.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:03 am »
 Juniper and boo makes a fast bow however you need to be carefull not to have the boo to thick. It can easily overpower the juniper and cause excess set.  I would thin the boo to no thicker then 1/8 on the nodes and about 1/16  on the rest. Also if you are doing recurves you will need to steam in the curves on the boo first this will help on the glue up. I would also glue in some reflex as it will take some set.

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »
Thank you, But say my boo isn't wide enough? Could I lay two strips side by side?