Author Topic: red oak takedown/spliced bow (HELP)  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Woodstock

red oak takedown/spliced bow (HELP)
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:20 pm »
Okay, I came across these pieces of red oak that seem to be almost perfect thickness for a 35 pound bow. They're a quarter of an inch thick, 4 feet long, and an inch and a half wide. I'd really appreciate if someone could teach me how to make a take down bow of about 5 and a half feet - 6 feet.... I'm only looking to make a 35 pound pull target bow (it's for Amtgard. Maximum pull allowed is 35 pounds) which is why I like the limbs to be thin. I've never successfully made a bow before. all the wood I buy turns out to be really porous.

Offline 65x55 swedis

Re: red oak takedown/spliced bow (HELP)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:12:24 am »
well i would say that you need to take it down to about 1/2" on a limb. i have mad a red oak holgard and it is 25@26" and it is 3/8" and if that is too light you can add a backing to stiffin it up.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:29 am »
1/4" is to thin not enough wood there to tiller the limbs.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:02 am »
Same advice as Ryano. Go to the hardware store and buy a red oak board that has some more meat to it. As for the rest, find George Tsoukalas? on the site and check out his website on how to make a red oak board bow. That would be a good starting point.
Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:40 am »
ya i am with those guys i did not see the dimentions of the wood. sorry :D show us some pics when you get started