Author Topic: Growing Bamboo?  (Read 3810 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Growing Bamboo?
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:02:51 am »
I was in Wally World and they had those little desk top, or window sill lucky bamboo plants on sale.  You know the type, pretty glass pot, cute stems.   Well, these have a nice bunch of roots on the bottom.   I am thinking of starting them in some potting soil and then into the yard.  No indication what sort of boo it is.   Anybody know ?   or if it will be worth anything as arrows or backings?

piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Growing Bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:50:38 am »
That's not a true bamboo but a Definbachia(sp) aka "dumb cane"  ::)    It is too fleshy of a plant to make backings or arrows.   I think you can stun fish with it though.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chriss880

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:14:48 am »
thats not the bamboo for arrows and bow backing thats the kind that just looks good but go to this website you can buy bamboo seeds http://shop.ebay.com/items/bamboo%20seeds?_dmd=2&_sop=1&keyword=bamboo+seeds&crlp=1910619503_9415&tt_encode=raw&MT_ID=475

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:19:18 pm »
Thanks guys.   You all are a treasure chest of info.   I may plant it anyway between my house and the neighbor, and hope it spreads like fury. 

And, i'll see about getting seeds or shoots of the right stuff.    thanks again, piper

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:30:06 pm »
If you are going to plant boo.  Make sure you plant a clumping variety.  The spreading kind is like planting a disease!!  It spreads at an unbelievable rate and snuffs out anything in its path.  And to remove it  :o
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:33:45 pm »
Bambusa multiplex!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 08:42:57 pm »
I LIKES Bamboo!!!!

Do enclose it in a barrier of some type if its a runner. Also dig a ditch around the outside of the barrier to check for any rhyzomes that escape the barrier and lop them off before they get a chance to sprout some shoots.

Arrow Bamboo is one of my favorites along with the timber bamboos. Love the stuff!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:42 am »
havnt got a whole lot of time right now to talk, but check out this site. its a bamboo forum with info on growing and such. not a whole lot of traffic, but helpfull what is there.

bamboocraft.net

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.