Author Topic: New to Bowmaking and just looking for some input  (Read 3255 times)

Offline KShip85

New to Bowmaking and just looking for some input
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:45:53 pm »
     I have been reading through posts and reading TBB collection for a while now and am deciding to finally post and see if I am doing alright here.  I am relatively new to bow making and have only really attempted two other bows with any success; both of those being osage.  My current project is a 55 1/2 inch ntn redbud tempered and backed with yucca fiber.  The decision to temper  it came from the heat treating section of tbb 4 as I thought if black locust responded well and redbud is a relative of locust then maybe it will respond well too.  The decision for backing came from reading that black locust sometimes failed in tension after heat treating and the fact that I inadvertently cut through a pin knot while chasing a ring and it pulled a splinter in the middle of the bow's back.  I'll try to post a full draw picture sometime in the near future but right now I am away from my shop and i think it's still a little damp from applying the backing.  There was a natural bend in the bottom limb, almost like a reflex-deflex that I tried to match in the upper limb but it didn't work so well as I was away from my tools and attempting to get by with my kitchen and some free weights.  Anyway, any feed back would be great as I am just looking to learn from all the many more experience than myself in this wonderful little art form.  Thanks all and I look forward to the feedback.

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

nickf

Re: New to Bowmaking and just looking for some input
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:30 pm »
get those outer limbs narrowed! 1/2" wide tips will do.
glad you're into bowmaking aswell :)

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:59:52 pm »
I agree with nickf.  On the next one I would definetly taper the limbs a lot sooner and make the tips a lot smaller.  It will increase the speed and lessen the hand shock.  Welcome to the addiction! :)
south central VA

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »
cool start man
did those lines come from wrapping the fiber down with string?

Nickf: ha! so it is you

Zander

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:08 pm »
The tips and fades need to be thinned.if you stain or dye the backing a dark color it might look pretty cool. Welcome to the addiction!!!!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »
Howdy,   I like it and think it's a good start.  I agree with others in that the tips are way too heavy.  But, I have a friend who's favorite bow looks much as yours.   Heavy tips, a little snakiness and a linen backing.   He calls it 'The Beast."  Enjoy what you've got and start thinking of what the next one is going to look like.  If you;ve already started that last part, you are definitely one of us bow addicts.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:22:37 am »
That's looking good so far. I like the profile. I agree with the advice to narrow the tips some.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:18:41 am »
I think the bow looks great,  and the wider tips are safer and are the way to go on a redbud bow, narrow tip wont hold up on a redbud stave,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:24 am »
On a character bow like that I don't narrow the tips or shape the handle until I ay least string it to see how the string tracks. You could have shaped your handle to get the string closer to center. Leave the off side alone and remove wood from the other side. You can also cut the nocks deeper on that off side to bring the string to center. Never used red bud. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

nickf

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 03:38:04 pm »
damn Zander!
you found me  :-\
yazoo, why not?

Offline KShip85

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I might try to narrow down the tips some but I was a little paranoid to cut too much too quick as I have in a first few attempts.  As far as being addicted...absolutely I am, as of right now I have dogwood, erc, osage, beech, red oak, hornbeam, more red bud and an unidentified wood I believe to be a light weight maple drying in the back of my workshop.  I plan on cutting some more wood in August and have spotted an elm, hackberry, and possibly another hornbeam that look like they would provide some nice clear staves.  I also wandered across a roughed out sassafras bow I had started several years ago when I first made a bow and am going to see if I can get it to go anywhere.  Thanks again for the help and I look forward to posting some more bows in the hopefully not too distant future.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN