Author Topic: Black Locust and Osage haul  (Read 4568 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Black Locust and Osage haul
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:48:00 pm »
Every once in awhile you'll be looking for silver and find gold.  I went out on the farm to cut some black locust that had been uprooted by the ice storm a few weeks ago.  Besides the BL I found an osage that had been uprooted.  I didn't know that little guy lived in my locust patch.  I got 2 logs 70 inches long.  One was 6 and 3.5 inch diameter on the small end.  Straight and look at those RINGS.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

nickf

Re: Black Locust and Osage haul
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:07:29 pm »
looks very good hedgeapple :)
once again, I'm so damn jealous of you american osage cutters! :p

splitting will be hard on that big one, since the centre is so off you'll probably get a very thick and very thin stave or you ruin them...
it's been my experience that you really should split through the center otherwise you'll mess it up ;)

Nick

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:57 pm »
Nice haul.  Ice storms are good for something. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:43:32 pm »
I'm thinking of splitting these along the dotted line.  I know I might waste some by doing iit this way.  But, it should insured that I get ONE GOOD stave from each.

Expert splitters feel free to advice me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

nickf

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:38 pm »
yeah I think that'll do, haven't tried osage tho, since it doesn't grow here ;)

Offline chesjen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »
those are some mighty thick rings, unless it's an illlusion. Will there be more than one ring on out in the limbs?
"Some sweet Day"  Polk County NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:14:09 pm »
Chesjen, That not much of an illusion.  The outer ring on the bigger log (5 inches log, I guest before, just measured) is 3/8".  Being new to this bow building thing, I didn't think about one ring being all or most of the limbs.  Is that a problem?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:52:53 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:36:18 pm »
Lucky duck!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

nickf

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:43:04 am »
hedgeapple,
if you're new you'd better make some easy board bows first, otherwise you'll be sorry later. first 10bows won't satisfy you, probably, so you'd better choose a cheaper and less rare wood for it.
one-ring limbs don't seem strange to me, but they might be an indication for lighter wood; it may be better to leave the limbs a little wider and longer.

Nick

Ian Johnson

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:28:29 am »
nope those look horrible, guess you will have to send them all to me for proper disposal ;D, that looks like a lot of good staves

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:54:04 am »
Nickf, thanks for the advice.  I did make a board bow Sam Harper style.  It didn't satisify me.  At best, it's ugly.   :D  And I did keep it on a long string too long during the tiller process and miscalculated the pull.  The  tiller is pretty good (could be improved some), but I ended up with a 30# @ 28" instead of the 45 I was hoping for.  Lesson learned.  So, I'm wanting a bow that I would like if it does turn out, instead of a bow that turns out fine but I don't like.

Do agree that less rare and cheaper wood is probably a better choise than using osage.  As for the cheaper part, I have probably 30 osage trees on my farm.  95% of them are SNAKEY and better left till have alot more experience.  I cut 2 osage log last Oct and cut this one yesterday, because it had uprooted.  I also cut 9 BL logs from uprooted trees yesterday.  We've let our grow up to better deer and quail habitat instead of being the pasture land that it was.  I literally have 100's of ash and elm sapplings in the 2 to 4 inch diameter range.  On my parents farm, I have virtually unlimited access to oak, hickory and beech.  I'm not trying to brag or be a smart A**, but not counting time and a little chainsaw gas, it's cheaper for me to harvest these trees than it is to buy a board.  And hopefully, I learn more by cutting and splitting myself than I would going to Lowes.  I do expect to ruin 5 or more staves per one than I get right.  That's why osage bow building will be further down the road.  I just want to have them stored and curing for when I'm ready.

I just finished roughing out an ash sappling to set aside to cure.  It's a knotty little guy and I'm sure I'm going to screw it up.  But, it's all about the journey not the destination.   :)

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:04:40 am »
Looks good. Good point about following the crown of the log as you split. There's info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!