Author Topic: elk legs and bones  (Read 5737 times)

Offline yazoo

elk legs and bones
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:17 am »
I have taken sinew from legs, saved the skins, and bones... what is the best way to tan leg skins for bags, and I want to save leg bones how should i clean bones for storage,maybe boil and clean or roast and clean,, is there any thing else I can make from leggs,,i just really dont want to waste any thing,  thanks mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: elk legs and bones
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:27 am »
I boil them just enough to clean off all the tissue,then tuck them out of the reach of critters till good and dry.(You wanna get the marrow outta one end so it don't go rancid on ya)  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:38:46 pm »
eat the marrow! out of legs, maybe get some clay fill the hole at the bottom of one end and bake it and have yourself a cup or something.  ??? ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:37:45 pm »
Yazoo,

I've tried to tan the deer leg skins but they just don't work.  You can't get the epidermis skin off because it is so well bonded to the underlying dermis.  You really can't do much with them anyway, even if you could tan them, so I just cut them off and throw them away. 
Marietta, Georgia

Long Arrow

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:37:48 pm »
I have seen reindeer leg hides used to make beautiful boots.
The first length of hide was used for the leg and foot front.

An elk is considerably larger than a reindeer.
As said the hide may be tougher to work.

It takes many leg hides to make a pair of boots and
the lady making them was a pleasure to see work

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »

The Eskimo's would use the rear ankle section of moose hide to make boots.  Utilizing the natural bend, and not having to slice, or add a piece to make the heel, and could be waterproofed.  I don't know how they tanned it, or if they just wore it in.  If they can tan a Walrus hide, then I would think a moose ankle would be no problem! ;)

Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:38:31 pm »
Eskimos never cease to amaze me. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »

That definitely looks like " Mullet " country!  He just loves all that white cold stuff.  I bet he can't wait to get back up to Canada again eh? ;D ;D  He had real nice comments about it when he got back. ;)  Dang, going after a Polar Bear with a primitive bow and arrow, takes quite a set of .....well, anyway, it's a brave man that goes out after one, with that kinda set up.  Unless he had no choice.  And you are not going to outrun any bear, especially in a couple feet of snow.  You're just going to die tired.  I would want a very fast snow mobile already running and pointing away from that critter! :D  But it does " point " out the small point theory, though.  Just feel a whole lot safer with a .416 rigby, .458, 45-70, .375 h&h mag. or 300. winchester mag, or 30-06 , or 12 gauge slug!  But yeah, you can't help but to admire the Eskimo, and his ingenuity, and ability to survive that kinda terrain, and conditions.  But I have to ask myself, Why?  But then, after looking at the wonderful mess the Cheechacko's have made down in the lower 48, I have to admit, I can see their point.  But boy, taking a Polar Bear with primitive weapons, is some kinda amazing.  But it has been done for thousands of years, so it is not too surprising, just still awesome. 8)

Wayne