Author Topic: need some advice for finish on self bow.  (Read 9219 times)

bearbowman

need some advice for finish on self bow.
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:03:52 pm »
I have a hickory self bow that i want to finish. can i use regular store bought stain? is there some that's better than others? i have a lot of min wax products at home.

secondly, what do you use to seal it?

thanks in advance,
Bob

whitewoodshunter

Re: need some advice for finish on self bow.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:14:25 pm »
Miniwax works good. Just let it dry good and lightly go over it with 000 steel wool. I use miniwax wipe on poly to seal my bows

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:21:35 pm »
On Hickory I usually use 5 or 6 coats of Gun stock Tru oil. Then spray satin Polly and if I plan to hunt with it I will wax it with turtle wax. :) Hickory need to be sealed as much as possiable with what ever you decide to use.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »
One of my favorite colorations for hickory is charcoal dust rubbed into the grain. I've done it dry, with a little water or with an oil like bear grease or linseed oil. It highlights the grain but isn't dark on the wood. Any regular finish will work on it after a few days of drying.
   If you use water, it will raise the grain so a light sanding after will be necessary.
  Also, leather dye works well as well as Rit dye in alcohol or water but again, the water will raise the grain.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:53:11 pm »
Sure you can use store bought stain. I don't like to use water based products on hickory though. Rit dye in denatured alcohol is what I've been using lately though it's not an easy application. YOu can also blend 2 or 3 different colors  on the bow. Oil based stain will work well also. I finish with 2 or 3 coats of spar urethane. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:17:47 pm »
Hickory tends to not take oil based stains evenly. I prefer alcohol based stains....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »
I've used Minwax stains on hickory with no problems, and then sealed with either minwax poly or tru-oil.  Either one works fine, but I prefer the tru-oil.
south central VA