Author Topic: Draw technique  (Read 9342 times)

Offline david w.

Draw technique
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:13 pm »
I see when you draw a warbow the way you do it is different than the way I see a normal bow pulled back.  I'm going to start making a warbow soon so I want to know how to shoot it correctly. :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline ratty

Re: Draw technique
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:12 pm »
drawing to the ear is the accepted draw technique with many variations of how to draw and release.

here is a gif of me drawing and shooting my 133# bow flatish at a target 100yds. obviously shooting for distance is different.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »
Do you still pull in the first joint of your fingers and you use three or four fingers?Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline ratty

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »
Do you still pull in the first joint of your fingers and you use three or four fingers?Ronnie

ive used 3 and 2 never 4 , but three seems to be the best for me on the first joint, unless i'm shooting a horsebow then i use a thumbring up to 120# so far.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 05:08:31 pm »
             If you are interested in the late mediaeval/Tudor style, draw to the ear, sometimes the shaft hand dropped to the collarbone, a very brief hold, and no looking at the arrow. Either a high draw, as demonstrated by Ratty, or a low draw, the straightened bow arm brought up as the shaft hand pulls back, to draw less attention of game or enemy.. Grip on the string in both England and France was second joint of forefinger and first joint of ring finger,. Middle finger as it fits.  With instinctive shooting there is a tendency to loose the arrow when it is pointed at the mark, so it is best to come to full draw before pointing the arrow at the mark. In practice not more than two or three arrows were shot at an end. Practice was to hit with the first arrow or at least the second, rather than accumulate points.

Erik

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:48 pm »
Thanks for the info that settled a question for me. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline heavybow

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:26:28 am »
Very Nice Ratty. Cheers Marlon ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:09:59 pm »
Ratty, you need to slow down, I almost hyperventilatated just watching you!! Nice form! Steve

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:51:35 pm »

Here is one of myself shooting my 140lb bow (thanks to Ratty for created this animation for me)

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:07 pm »
    Alenesq,  I love the tiller on that bow, how does it do in flight shooting? Looks like it would be a very fast bow. Steve

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 04:50:38 am »

Sadly not

This bow was my first try at making a laminated bow and on top of that I bought the wood on a Sunday and the following weekend I desperately needed it to be finished (I cant remember why now, must have been a rove I wanted to go to)
I decided to make it far too long so that I could then shorten it to bring it up to my required draw weight at the end (as I was aiming for around 135lb) but it ended up a good 140lb as it was !
so its 7 foot long and I suspect this is why it looks so impressive in the video ;-)

having said that it is definitely a lot more powerful than the self ash bows I had made before this

With a replica Mary Rose arrow (EWBS livery arrow) my best distance is 203 yards - so a long way to go yet

I suspect it would benefit a lot from having the tips reduced as they are very thick but I am always weary of modifying a working bow as I tend to end up with no bow

BTW - The bow is Hickory, Purple heart and Ipe

Ian B

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:36:41 pm »
Me given it some welly, with my self built 137 lbs. I shot 7 days a week for 2-6 hours a day six months long to get there.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i327.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid327.photobucket.com/albums/k478/ian1969/Bild020.flv">

Have fun Regards Ian

Offline heavybow

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:04:24 pm »
Ian very nice video. Ian not bad 360 meters with a flightarrow very nice mate. >:D ;)

teddybear111111

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 05:53:12 pm »
may i ask dose any of you have a bad back mine is in the mucle. my mate is making me a 70lbs ish to my ear self bow but 60 for deff to my lip.
i was wondering because i would love to work up to warbows but dont now if i can my mate that has a warbow he made sed that it will probley put me in a wheel chair.
second how far do the arrows go at and angle of 42 as im told that make the arrow goes the bigest distonce.
thank
carnt wate to get my new bow  O:)