Author Topic: D bow spec check  (Read 1869 times)

old foul dude

D bow spec check
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:22 pm »
Yo, well, I've got my piece of scrap oak worked down to a rectangle 64" long, 1 1/8" wide in the middle tapering to 1" at the ends, and 11/16" thick in the middle tapering to 5/8" thick at the ends. I'm going to back it with burlap before I start to tiller it. Are these dimensions anywhere near what is needed? I've seen specs for length and width, but not thickness. I haven't carved the nocks yet, but they will be diamond shaped. Any advise is appreciated. This my second attempt at a first bow. Got the backing idea from Jawge's website. ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: D bow spec check
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:09 am »
Hey Old Dude, I never check thickness of a stave. I remove wood until the limbs bends evenly and together and until I get my draw weight.
   Your stave sounds a like it should be OK .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

Re: D bow spec check
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:48 am »
Remember, wood which is twice as wide, is twice as strong, but wood which is twice as thick, is eight times as strong. In other words, a small change in thickness is significant. All else being equal, the difference in limb thickness between a 70# bow, and a 35# bow is not much. Wood is an organic material, and there are no real hard and fast thickness dimensions, like when you're assembling a FG bow. You have to remove material, teach the limb to bend, and arrive at your intended draw weight and length, all the while keeping the limbs bending together and evenly.