Author Topic: Hickory bow length?  (Read 2763 times)

bearbowman

Hickory bow length?
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:38:53 pm »
I have received two hickory staves from rudderbows archery. This will be my first attempt at making a bow.

If my first one goes well, I'd like to make the second one shorter. I don't want to back the bow.

In your experience, how short could i go? the staves are approx. 70".

I was hoping to get down to about 60", would this be a problem.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Hickory bow length?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:58:10 pm »
You could go as short as a foot long bow if you had a draw length of 4 inches. LOL. You didn't mention what your draw length was. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bearbowman

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »
duh, sorry about that. it's 27"

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:13:16 pm »
I prefer my bows at least 66" long, at least for selfbows. I've made a couple short hickory bows (working recurves) that were 56" long, Jay Massey style. Hickory isn't as elastic as Osage and what not, and like other white woods is best (as a selfbow) when it's longer.

If you have your heart set on a 60" hickory, a deflexed working recurve would probabaly be your best bet.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:52 pm »
That's ok. I was a pre nap, feeble attempt at humor. LOL. I just finished a 60 in ntn hickory bow that bends through the handle. It can be done but I'd leave pushing the limits for later on after a few bows. 66 in ntn with an 8 inch non bending handle should work, There are buildalongs on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:05 pm »
I've went to 62" inches (reflex/deflex) for 26" draw. My first few were 64" and they are about the short limit I think for a straight bows with stiff handles at that draw length.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline benjamin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:17:41 pm »
Double the draw plus 10 to 20%. I draw 25''.....25+25=50''+5'' (10% of 50 is 5)= 55''. 20% would be 60''. Those are my benchmarks for bend through the handle and stiff handles respectively. Longer is much harder to break, shorter is much more fun in my oppinion. Find your own happy medium.