Author Topic: Copper sources fior Flakers???  (Read 8369 times)

Offline knap_123

Re: Copper sources fior Flakers???
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 12:02:50 am »
i use a grinder and grind my moose till it fits right in my hand.  theres no better feeling flaker to me than antler. you can use all deer if you wont and make different sizes as well.  i take the deer tine and grind it down to 1/4 and passes through the hole on my diameter guage there. i want it to pass completly through snugly with no hang ups. the reason being you'll be sliding down inside the flaker when you drill your hole in the top.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:26:04 am by knap_123 »

Offline knap_123

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:09:49 am »
next you'll mark were you wont to put your set screw and drill your hole first and then tap it. heres what the tap will look like if you dont no.  now after you drill your hole make sure it fits and tightens down snugly. i wouald practice my hole on a piece of wood first.  if you dont have the right set screw(groves to tight or to far apart) you will strip out your hole and possible ruin a good flaker. you wont a short screw so it will go below the lip of your hole.  if not it will feel uncomfortable in your hand. if they dot have a shorter screw, grip the one you got with some plieres and grind the end down to shorten it.   now make up a few extra tines and your set.  these tines you wont to keep duller than copper. if you put a sharp point on the end they will split. keep a fine tooth wood rasp in your tool kit to touch them up from time to time.  you can also make a ishi stick with antler as well.  i'll try and post a pic of mine tomarrow.  make a notcher out of antler or a rib bone. all these tools have a special feeling when i hold them. i love copper and usually mix them up when working a point.  hope this helps out some.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:29:59 am by knap_123 »

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 06:39:13 am »
knap123
Thanks for posting your flaker how to.  That is a really cool idea.
Traverse City, MI

CutNShoot

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 12:20:42 am »
Every electrical supply should have # 4 bare copper wire. National electric code and probably British code also require it for a 200 amp service depending on what it's grounded to.That should make a flaker stuck into the end of a Ishi stick.