Author Topic: ERC  (Read 2941 times)

Offline david w.

ERC
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:50:52 pm »
I really love these erc bows.  I havae been wanting to make a warbow over this next summer and would erc backed with rawhide work?  What are some other good bow designs for it?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ERC
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:40:47 pm »
David, A war bow can be built with ERC but there are other woods that will work better.  I believe elm was traditional and ash and hard maple would work. Osage too.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:02:28 am »
Hi David,  I love working with junipers ( like ERC.)  I made one juniper long bow.  It is a D tillered bow ( like a warbow) and nonbacked, but only 38 lbs at 28".  It is a sweet bow to shoot, but I think it would not have worked as an 80 lb + bow.  The general consensus is that ERC works best in a wider, flatter design, especially if you use a light backing.  You might consider an american flatbow, or a pyrimid style bow, or even a plains indian gull winged style.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:36:12 am »
There was one guy who used to post on here, Johnny-something from Tennessee. He made some heavyweight ELBs/warbows from ERC. I think he had one that was about 80-90 lbs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.