Author Topic: knife/slab  (Read 4590 times)

Offline knap_123

knife/slab
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:04:13 am »
ok guys, theres been alot of discussion on slabs lately. and i've been having problems myself with them. so i decided yo try a piece again today and shre with yall. this is a piece of carrera glass. i went back and watched jim winn and  on you tube and payed closer attentio this time. i kept trying to zig-zag first and then run my flakes. but this time i used my ishi and ran my flakes off theflat sides. i got them to go pass the middle on all sides on the first pass, or mostly. side 1 side 2 you can see i got them all to meet here. i made another pass and then zig-zaged the edges. i used a small bopper for this, 1/2", i did'nt wont to snap it using anthing bigger and causeing shock. glass it pretty easy to snap , especially for me. but guys, i was feeling joy i'd not done it yet. i kept takeing little breks and practicing patience! now it was time to start pressure flakeing.  notching in the base next i drilled in my hole on my handle. i normally dont like to use electrical tools or such. but since it was man made glass i decided to cheat some.  and now i glued it in with j.b. weld. another little cheat since i usually use sinew and pitch. but it aint going no were! it reminds me of salt water taffyhttp://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/knap_123/grenknifehorshoebend036.jpg[/IMG]

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: knife/slab
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:10 am »
Sweet!!!...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline knap_123

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:51:01 am »
sorry, my final pics arent working to good.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:25:07 am »
Thats a Nice knife, and was cool to watch it come along. thanks for taking the time to take the pics and share it with us.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:10:56 am »
Thanks for sharing and a nice knife to boot :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:24:01 am »
i think it turned out great.  very good job on it.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline uwe

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:41:56 am »
The antler and the knifematerial  match together very nice,I like it.

Offline knap_123

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:10:45 am »
thank guys, i had thought about goping back and removeing the tines so it has a straighter handle. iit will be hard to sheath and carry it like it is.  its a ornamental piece mostly so i might just make a stand or leave it as is. might even trade it. ;D

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:39:05 am »
Yea i'd leave it as is.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:01:06 pm »
Sweet, it does remind me of the salt water taffy from Myrle Beach.  As far as the sheath goes, you could always cut a "U" shape in the top of the sheath for the tine to fit in.  I have made a few for other people and they worked great.