Author Topic: ChokeCherry youth bow -tiller help?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline BigWapiti

ChokeCherry youth bow -tiller help?
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:11 pm »
Hi there - its been a while since I've been on.

I'm working on another bow - this time its a choke cherry (maybe Bitter?) from the Taneum Canyon, WA.  I've been trying to work a kids bow for my hunting buddy's daughter.  Its been *tough* making a lightweight bow!  Patience is definitely necessary - one extra scrape at these light wts and the bow lets you know it in a hurry.  I've bombed three already trying.  I've tried VM, didn't seem to like the lighter weights and I'm still not sure why...  Mtn Maple blew on my own doing... patience, as mentioned above was lacking...  this choke cherry seems to be doing well, kinda - over tillered the first one, but this one seems ok so far.

Jane is pretty young - 6, will be 7 this month.  My buddy thinks she can draw 20# - but I had her draw a 15# kids 'glass bow and it didn't look easy.  I don't want to give her a bow thats too much for her and start any bad habits.  I'm going to split the difference. Let me know your thoughts... 

Her draw 16".  I am going to shoot for 20# at 20" - this might make it more realistic for her at her 16" draw - and still give her some growing room (does it work that way??).  Its not like she'll be taking any deer w/ this bow.  The plan is to tiller it to a longer draw length just to be safe with her growing and her draw length increasing.  My worry is having this thing explode on her.  As you'll see from the tips.. still a bit thick but..... (again, gimme some pointers on this).

I'm sweating the tiller at this point.  Can you take a look and give me some pointers.  I can still drop a bit of weight to get to my target.

The first pic is just a braced picture --- I should have also shown a unstrung picture, its starting to take some string follow - which I've never had a problem with this type of cherry before.  But I think this is because of the need to get to a lighter weight - I learned you really need to whittle it down slowly or you end up drawing too much at the start and then result in over stressing the wood (my thought anyway.... ).

Second picture is the bow drawn to 16" and pulling just under 20#.

Can you give me some suggestions?  Again, I'm thinking about 20# @ 20" (to meet her 15# @ 16" needs today but yet give her room to grow.

Open to suggestion on all this!  I'm completely over theorizing this bow.  :)

Thanks all!

I forgot to add - 46 1/2" NtN

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:50:34 pm by BigWapiti »
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: ChokeCherry youth bow -tiller help?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »
Too much bend in the Handle Area...need to scrape a little more in the area from line 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 on each side to get the rest of the Limbs bending too....that is going to be such a sweet little Shooter.... I don't see you having any trouble making weight at that draw....just go slow ...you will nail it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:56:35 pm »
I was wondering if I was bending too much in the handle on this one.

Ok, I'll give it a few scrapes and see how it goes....

This is nerve wracking!!!  :)
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 12:35:37 am »
Anyone mind giving this another look - got her down to 16# @ 16" (and 19# @ 20").  Still not sure I'm liking the tiller - but, well, thats how I broke the others by wanting to split hairs..  though, I'm not sure tiller is good w/ this one.    Anyone have any input?

Pic 1 - 16# @ 16"
Pic 2 - 20# @ 19" (same tiller as Pic 1)

Pic 3 shows a string issue that came up - I had it straight down the middle (using heat) midway through all the tillering - just noticed its coming back after getting it thinned out.  hrmmm...  Should I try bending it back?  Will it work when its this thin?

Ideas on the tiller - sorry about the lighting - I should have held the light source higher for the pic.

Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:19:17 am »
I like it better Now!!! As for the String...I have several Bows that the String doesn't track straight down the Middle....and they are fine...I would say that it isn't the way they should be....but if it works....leave it alone....you could heat it back out again....thats up to you.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:10:24 am »
Tiller looks good to me also, one thing to consider with a bendy handle bow is hand shock, make sure you lighten the tips up
as much as possible. With a kids bow you may also want to back it with silk or rawhide for safety. And your right about light weight bows
they can be a bugger to tiller just because there isn't much wood to start with.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 02:26:29 pm »
Thanks for the help guys - I'm gonna call it good - here are my latest pics - using the great ellipse idea El D pointed me to.

And Thanks Dana, I'll take your advice and pull some weight off the tips next.

So, on backing...  if I use silk - how does that work around the tiny pin nots - I envision the silk bubbling air in that area?  Does it still show the grain through?  Do I have to paint it if I use silk?  I like the natural wood so much.

Its looking like 12# @ 16"  and 20# @ 20" - bigger gap than I was expecting/hoping.

Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:52:05 pm »
I think the Reasons Dana said anything about backing it were........1....it's going to be a Kids Bow....lots of Bumps and Bruises....and 2 ....if Chokecherry...and if it anything like any of the other Prunus Genus.....they are too fond of Tension....so backing is normally done. If you do back it with Silk....you will have to spend the time to work out the Bubbles from underneath...or wrap it with Shrink Wrap....but this will most likely leave marks....being such a light Bow and such a nice Tiller....and liking the Natural Look....you could always just leave it be.....if I were to back this Bow myself....it would be a thin piece of Goat Rawhide....sanded as thin as I dared....and soaked till soft and pliable and glued up with Titebond3....or Hide Glue....when dry you can almost see totally through it.....JMO

Oh and by the way the Tiller is great now.....Leave Her Be!!!!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:55:55 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:56:49 pm »
Thanks - now I need to go find me a goat...  'ere goaty goaty goaty...    neighbors have a whole slew of them, wonder if they'll miss one?   >:D

Looks like I'm now going to have to add some tip overlays to it.  Set it down on my rasp...  argh!  Got some scratches on the tips.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 03:59:12 pm »
                                                 Mike send me your Address....I have a deal for you!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:07 pm »
The only reason I mention a backing is safety sake, I do believe chokecherry is a lot tougher than Black Cherry.
Looks good Mike :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »
                                                 Mike send me your Address....I have a deal for you!!

mjbosko AT jmtsystems dot com

Ew, I like deals!! :) :) :)
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:56:12 pm »
                                                    Meant Mailing Address.....You Knothead!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:13:54 pm »
OooooOOOooh!  I'll pm ya. :)
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:02:23 pm »
Tiller turned out nice.Looks good,she should love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good