Author Topic: newbie with perry reflex question  (Read 4388 times)

in da u.p.

newbie with perry reflex question
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:56:36 pm »
Hi everyone! I have to say that this message board is very helpfull to new bowyers. I've just finished my third board bow, and much to my wifes dismay have been seriously bitten by the bug. So many questions,materials to use , and not enough time!
My first question is how far on the tillering tree should the bow be pulling before adding the backing?  I already completed a maple backed by hickory with 2.5" reflex. before i glued on the backing I had the limbs bending 15" @ 40lbs. after glueing on the hickory there was very little flex, less than floor tillering. there was a considerable amount of wood removed to get 68lbs @ 28". The hickory backing was 3/16" quartersawn. I guess if I do another backed bow i think I'll tiller it to 40lbs @ 28".does this sound like a good idea or not? I'm shooting for 60-65lbs.
Btw pappys latest osage self bow is awesome!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: newbie with perry reflex question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:28:40 am »
To be safe you can add the backing after floor tiller and before you stress the stave too much. In many cases you don't need a backing. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 01:31:41 am »
Oh!  and welcome to PA.   Another yooper eh! Sheesh!!!!! ::)...or should I say...holywah eh!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:21:52 am »
I always add the wood backing, like hickory, bamboo or maple, before I start any tillering. I glue up the backing & belly wood, and then cut my profiles and begin floor tillering. For backings like rawhide, cloth or sinew, I usually add them towards the end of final tiller.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:26:50 am »
I pre taper the core wood not tiller it. This just helps it bend more evenly on the form for glue up.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:51:54 am »
it is usually best to glue on the backing with the added reflex before bending the bow at all, just get the limbs as close to their final dimensions as possible so that they  can be bent into a reflex fairly easily, if you bend the bow first without the backing you will lose some power
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:34:36 am »
Hey der my yooper friend :) Finally another Yooper that makes 4 of us :) As you can see most of these Southern folk have
been edukamated in Yooperese ;D
Don't know much about backed bows I mostly make self bows but ifin ya ever get to Manistique give me a holler eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

in da u.p.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 05:06:01 pm »
    thanks for all of the replies. Its nice to get feedback from from people w/ expierence. I suppose i can try backing another bow before any tillering is started. I'll keep you informed on how it turns out. I'd post some pic's but i haven't figured out how to do that yet. thanks again.

in da u.p.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 05:11:11 pm »
   DanaM, If i get to Manistuque I will be sure to give you a holler. trouble is I dont get down that way very often. How long have you been making self-bows, and what woods are you using?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 09:21:09 am »
Welcome,like Pat said another Yooper, ;) ;D Don't know much about Backed bows either
but I can tell you ,you are in the right place to find some folks that do. Love to see some
of your work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 10:08:11 am »
   DanaM, If i get to Manistuque I will be sure to give you a holler. trouble is I dont get down that way very often. How long have you been making self-bows, and what woods are you using?

I don't get up yer way very often either, usually only for work confernces. I started my first self bow in Nov of 2006 and it wasn't pretty :o neither were the next 10 or so
but they have improved steadily since then, mostly due to this web site and the fine folks that are on here. Self taught because there is no one around here to help.
As for woods I started with white ash boards but have since moved on to staves, I've used hard maple, elm, vine maple, osage, hickory, soft maple, black cherry, and even made a bow from staghorn sumac. Have staves of white and yellow birch, black locust, mulberry, Hophornbeam, eastern red cedar, honey locust and also a tag alder waiting their turn. I like experimenting with different woods. Maybe we can hook up one these days, do some building and shooting, come summer I'd be willing to make a road trip :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 01:34:34 am »
I floor tiller then glue up. You might want to go a little thinner on the backing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 02:23:31 am »
Oh!  and welcome to PA.   Another yooper eh! Sheesh!!!!! ::)...or should I say...holywah eh!

Now Yer a Lernin Pat..... >:D Fer Cripes Sakes it takes you Southern Boys a long Time to catch on Eh!! I swear You's Guy's below Da Mighty Mac...need ta learn ta Speak Da Langwich

As for the Backing...I would go a little thinner....around a Quarter Inch....If I Back One....I glue in a couple inches of reflex...and then start the Tillering Process,,,the End Results are alway nicer....

As for the Pictures...cant be much easier than it is.... Click the Additional Options Button at the Bottom of the Reply Window....click Browse....go to where you store Your Pictures....make sure that they are no larger than 200KB each.....and then attach them....you can add up to 6 pictures to one post....just make sure that they are no larger than 200KB each...good luck and lets see some Pictures!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome