Author Topic: Folsom help  (Read 3041 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Folsom help
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:22:51 am »
How do i floot a Folsom.. i know i cant set it up like a Clovis and just hit it harder cause it will end snap.. there has gatta be a trick..
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Folsom help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:03:55 am »
According to Bob Patton's recipe, pressure flake it down until it's even and has a good center ridge, but leave the tip round and grind it. Set the tip on an antler or wood anvil, and support it against a block of wood. The example I saw, he used an antler rocker punch to take the flute off, hitting it with a heavy hammerstone. The punch was laying on top of the block that was supporting the point. He says that slow and heavy is the way to go.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:56:26 pm »
lol i'm confused... i'll think i'll get someone to just show me in person sometime.... Thanks Steave.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:38:26 pm »
 I just set up the platform like I do when you hit it and push, drive down ,hard with the pressure flaker. Using that notched pad I use that's in one of the other pictures. The grooves channel the flake.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »
you might want to check on youtube under jim winns flint knapping or flintknappingtips.john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:38 pm »
 I just did one, it's on the pucker Thread.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:48:04 am »
Not all Folsom points were fluted as the last step.  I have some pictures of Folsom points that were first blanked out, then fluted, then very even, fine pressure flaking was done along the edges to do the final shaping of the point.  Again, this was not done all the time.  some look like they were definitely fluted last, but some were made with the method described above.  I have tried to make a few Folsom points but have never completed one successfully.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
From what Patton says, fluting was usually always done before the final retouch. Usually a side was pressure flaked and fluted, then the other side was pressure flaked and fluted. Then the tip was shaped and the edges cleaned up /sharpened. Jesse, you'd just have to see the illustrations in his book. I've tried a few, but never made one that looked right and stayed in one piece.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.