Author Topic: playing with shapes in obsidian...  (Read 4973 times)

Offline bowmo

playing with shapes in obsidian...
« on: December 20, 2008, 08:25:33 pm »
just trying some random stuff...not like you really come up with anything knew when the art form is 100's of thousands of years old, but hey i still can make up my own deal. i just end up finding finding a "real" point that looks just like it eventually...

dan

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: playing with shapes in obsidian...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:11:31 pm »
Them's some cool points bowmo! I like that obs too, easy to make - easy to break. Good knappin! I learned awhile back that you can make just about any style/shape ya want and discover that it's already been made.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:04 am »
Nice. I have a 50 lb. chunk of glass buttes on the porch...maybe I need to break into it.

PD

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:31:52 am »
thanks.

cowboy: tell me about it. i break just as many as i make. i usually make them too thin no matter what cause the stuff will easily let ya...

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:37:09 am »
I love points with recurved edges like that. 
  What amazes me most about prehistoric points is that Cowboy might find a certain point type in Texas, I might find the same type here in Ky, and they'll very often look so close in appearance, you would think the same fella made both of them. ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:21:31 am »
Nice work :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 02:37:10 pm »
thats some great chipping.and i like the rock too..john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 05:10:49 pm »
  that's different, kinda. Good looking blades.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:26:40 am »

Beautiful blades, and rock!

Wayne

Offline Allen7

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 04:21:59 am »
Nice Points!   Love working Glass Buttes obsidian.   I think I need to go out to my cave and knapp a few points.   I haven't broke any rock for several months now.    I was too busy with work and horses and bowhunting this fall.   Hope I haven't lost my touch.

Allen - Happy Knapper

Offline bowmo

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 02:34:59 pm »
like riding a bike man, like riding a bike.

thanks

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 09:26:09 pm »

Hmmmm do they have training wheels for beginners? ;D
Eddie Parker, surprised me with a beautiful bucket full rocks.  Said I have moved up to the next level.  Gee Eddie, don't I get a belt with that? ;D  A right nice Christmas Present.  Some of the stuff he put in there, I am afraid to touch, till I can do quite a bit better than I am doing now.  A couple of nice chunks of obsidian, and chert, agate, and coral, and all sorts of really nice stuff.  I guess I hurt his feelings, or made him feel guilty, when I was talking about some of the weird, stuff that was in the other buckets.  But, I did learn a lot from those buckets, and If I broke something, or ended up with a nugget, from a two pound rock, it was ok.  I was in the early learning stage.  If it were not for those first buckets, I would still be trying to find some rock to practice on.  He not only helped me, but got me hooked on this stuff.  Knapping am mah life now.  If it were not fo knapping, I would not be knapping now.
Now I have advanced to the just above early learning stage.  Anyway, Eddie is keeping me hooked, with mo "stuff", and Mo Betta stuff!  Well I wish all of the subscribers, and visitors, and Mag. Staff, and moderators, a Very Merry Christmas, a very happy Hanukkah, and a very healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year.  And I send the same, and my prayers, and thanks, to those in our military services.

Wayne