Author Topic: hickory staves and boards  (Read 4097 times)

Offline rasputin

hickory staves and boards
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:05 am »
I'm about to start my first red oak board bow. In the mean time I'd like to buy some Hickory boards and staves for future projects. Where can I pick these up, and who has the best prices?
Plaquemine, La.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory staves and boards
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:01:48 pm »
Depending on where you live, most specialty lumber shops, like cabinet and furniture makers use, should have hickory lumber as well as many other bow quality woods. There are PA advertisers that offer staves of all varieties or you could cut your own or talk to an arborist and tree trimmers about saving or selling you wood. If you live in an area where tree farmers are they are constantly removing trees for one reason or another and some of this wood should make good bows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rasputin

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:13:31 pm »
Hi Pat,

I live in South Louisiana. Hickory is pretty difficult to come by round here. Black Locust on the other hand....
Plaquemine, La.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:40 pm »
Work with what you have available locally. Locust can make an excellent bow. I'm sure hickory grows in LA. You just have to find it. Pecan is a first cousin to hickory(same genus). I used to buy hickory backing strips from a guy in LA...a crazy little Cajun guy. I can't think of his name now.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
rasputin, do a google search for hardwood lumber in your town.  i bet you'll find somethin.

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:05 pm »
Go with the Black Locust! The most effecient bow I've made was just that.  I would love to get my hands on a nice cured Locust stave. I seen on another post to use the sapwood just under the bark, but I treated it like osage and chased a ring (not knowing any better) and it turned out awesome....Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline rasputin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:32:10 pm »
Nice! I've read about how great Black Locust can be. I hear its a beast to tiller.

I've never made a bow, which is why I'm starting with the Red Oak boards. I'm trying to think ahead and grab a few staves, that way when I get the hang of Red Oak I'll have some stuff cured.

Thanks for the replys!

Plaquemine, La.

roofus

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:45:19 pm »
Try BCBULL on this forum. Good guy all around!!