Author Topic: Anybody ever make a bow from redbud?  (Read 10968 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Anybody ever make a bow from redbud?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:44:43 pm »
Thanks Tracy, the two I cut are too twisted to get a bow from, but that stuff's as common as fescue around here, so I know I can find a better one.  After I split those, I started really looking at the bark and you could see the twist. The next ones I find, I'll study the bark a little better before I cut it.
 Billet size stuff would be easy to get, but I want to try to find a long piece before I resort to that.
 I'm determined to make a bow from it, and will sooner or later.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 11:10:40 am »
Looked up the specific gravity of redbud, .63 or about the same as some oaks. Not real tough stuff but should make a bow.

I cut a storm downed one up for an elderly neighbor a few years ago, sure was pretty wood. It was already in firewood sized pieces before I thought about making a bow from it.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 03:03:43 pm »
I never even heard of red bud, but it looks like a nice hard wood, you Americans are lucky you've got way more species of tree to make bows from than we have over here on our little island, It makes me want to emigrate over the ocean!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:09:07 pm »
never used it, but it looks like it would make a real nice bow, lookng foward to seeing the bow man, -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.