Author Topic: question about 71inch long longbow  (Read 13371 times)

Offline bow-toxo

Re: question about 71inch long longbow
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »
hi all,

I had a question about a 71 inch long longbow/warbow.
I want to tiller te bow to 29inches but the stave (ash backed elm) is 71inch long.
Is it in my situation possible to make a bow which bend though the handle? or is
it saver(becaurse I want a bow that shoots not one thats in 2 pieces) to make
a victorian style longbow?

Joren1993

Victorian style longbows don't bend through the handle.

Erik

joren1993

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 08:13:50 am »
yes I know, but I ment building one which bends trough the handle or build one
which doesnt;)

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:50 am »

I would think building it to bend through the handle will be easier on the wood (as the stress is spread through the entire length of the bow)
so a full compass bow is less likely to fail (although its more difficult to make)

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »
which doesnt;)

I would suggest that rather than tiller by eyeballing, I mark several appropriately sized arcs on a six foot length of wrapping paper with a pencil through the loop of a bowstring used as a compass. For me, that is safer.

Erik

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 08:54:48 pm »
which doesnt;)

I would suggest that rather than tiller by eyeballing, I mark several appropriately sized arcs on a six foot length of wrapping paper with a pencil through the loop of a bowstring used as a compass. For me, that is safer.

Erik
So, without "eyeballing", how do you get to your perfectly drawn curve?

joren1993

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »

I would think building it to bend through the handle will be easier on the wood (as the stress is spread through the entire length of the bow)
so a full compass bow is less likely to fail (although its more difficult to make)

yeh now I think about it I think youre right.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 01:12:08 pm »
which doesnt;)

Erik
So, without "eyeballing", how do you get to your perfectly drawn curve?

Lay the tillered bow on the paper to check against the arcs, then reduce the parts you find too stiff.

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 06:25:48 pm »

I like to photograph my bow on the tiller then draw an arc on the resulting picture when I am  not sure how its going

e.g.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:25 pm »

I like to photograph my bow on the tiller then draw an arc on the resulting picture when I am  not sure how its going

e.g.

If you draw the arc on paper [ or floor] before the bow is on the tiller you can make the adjustments as you go along rather than check afterward to see if you screwed up. You don't need a camera.

Erik