Author Topic: It's time for the sweats. Critique "Stick".  (Read 10936 times)

Offline PeteC

Re: It's time for the sweats. Critique "Stick".
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 10:10:23 pm »
That's a good -lookin' stick George.Great tiller as always.Looks like it's ready to shoot in and finish. Merry Christmas, God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 10:34:53 pm »
Thanks, Pete. Glad you like it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 10:50:07 pm »
Hi Jawge,

I'm in late on this one. I was thinking the limbs bent too much right out of the fades, but I felt better after you description of the tiller--intentionally getting extra bend there and in the handle.

In that case, it looks good and ought to be fast. It has what Dan Perry calls "high gear limbs."

The upper limb does not look stiffer to me. If anything, the other way. I'd keep the bow the way you have it, as far as which is the top.

Nice work as always.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:07 pm »
I'd be glad to get one tillered like that. Good job.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 11:12:35 am »
Thank you, Okie and Jim. Yes, I intentionally wanted the handle bending a bit and I wanted the fades to bend. It does have fades.  It's 60 in. ntn so I figured I needed those areas to bend. This design is capable of quite a bit if energy storage. Tillering out prop twists can be tricky. You can get a different picture of the tiller depending on the side you look at.  The feedback is good, positive or negative, though, everyone, so let me have it. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 12:38:56 pm »
George,
I think giving you tillering advice would be like being a back seat driver with Mario Andretti!  ;D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 01:15:57 pm »
Hmmmm....George, I can't critique the tillering on your bow (looks good to me) but may I ask some questions?

-I like the idea of the bending of the handle and fades, like a holmeguard bow.....but do you think most of the set is occurring close to the handle?  Wouldn't this slow the bow down?  3/4" of set is almost negligible though....
-The bow is 60" long with a 26" draw....do you think it might be a little long (with limbs that are a bit heavy) considering the handle is not entirely static?
-Looks like the brace height is about 6".  That would mean the power stroke is something like 20".  This would make the overall speed slower than a traditional 28" draw with a 6" brace height (22" power stroke).  Have you designed the bow to compensate for this?  (e.g., a high initial draw weight?)
-Have you clocked the speed?  Overall, I think the bow will be a little slow...and have a bit of hand shock....just my uneducamated opinion. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 03:18:47 pm »
Jack, thank you. No the set is occurring mid limb on. The bow is very light. It's actually around 11.5 ounces. I actually like my bows a bit longer 62-66 in. nock to nock which is why I designed it to bend in the handle and fades. The brace is not set yes. That's part of the tuning process. But it is around 5.75 to 6 inches. No chrono but the bow is actually pretty fast and shoots an arrow with good-excellent cast. The stave had an inch of reflex and probably has 3/4 inch of follow now. Anything under 2 inches of follow and I'm happy.
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 03:20:03 pm »
adb, thanks for the compliment but the feedback is good. We can all learn from each other. Jawge
Set Happens!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 04:57:05 pm »
Hi Jawge, Your bow looks real good as usual, I posted this earlier, but I think it vanished.  Hopefully you will be back out here soon to enjoy a little sunshine and stave poaching ;)!

rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 07:01:41 pm »
Thanks, Rich.  Hopefully, we'll be out again. That was nice seeing you. I'm going to have to make  a bow when I get there on the next trip. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 07:28:58 pm »
looks great- im loving the snaky limb, and the nocks are wider than i thought to be- but they obviously work just as well! great work, just one question, do you prefer a wider nock, or was that just the stave's doing? again, looking foward to seeing more work. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:24 pm »
ballista, thanks; when I work a character stave I leave the nocks wide to allow me  to track the string better on the handle. If the string is off one side of the handle I'll cut that side in deeper to bring the string to the middle more. These nocks are 1/2 inch right at the groove and 3/4 in below the groove. Because one tip is deflexed and one is narrow I think I will leave them as is.  Those measurements are  pretty typical of my nocks. But no I am not a fan of narrow nocks. Jawge
Set Happens!