Author Topic: Source for River Cane Shafts  (Read 13269 times)

OsageBender

Source for River Cane Shafts
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:56 pm »
I have been thinking about trying my hand at making some hunting arrows out of River Cane.  Can anyone tell me of a good place to buy some quality shafts?  Also, I read somewhere that cane arrows don't need to be spined as carefully as other wooden shafts.  Is there any truth to that?  Thanks.

Offline DanaM

Re: Source for River Cane Shafts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:53:22 pm »
Try trading for them on here, and yup cane or a shoot shaft is more tolerant of spine due to its natural taper.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:16:25 pm »
I don't know offhand of any commercial supplier who sells native river cane shafts on a regular basis, but they can be traded for here, as Dana said. I have extras that I trade occasionally. I don't have a surplus a the moment, but I'm sure someone on here does, though. The only problem is, once you start shooting cane arrows, you won't want to use anything else. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline P.W. Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:14 pm »
Hey - are you looking for rivercane or something like it? Because Japanese Arrow Bamboo grows by the hundreds by my house, and I'm sure I could cut a few dozen good ones for you if you've got anything to trade??
Derek

ripmyfly

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 08:53:45 pm »
I have around a 100 river cane shafts bundled up. Would be willing to trade.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:00:13 pm »
Looks like you have your answer. I don't have a surplus either or would be willing to trade. If you live in the south you could cut your own.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:37:58 am »
River cane, jap boo, tonkin all are good :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:38:08 pm »
Like others I have access to hill cane(Arundaneria appalachiana) but only have a limited amount now.
River cane is A. gigantia and switch cane is A. tecta. All three make good arrows as well as the other exotics mentioned above.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:16:49 am »
last i looked, murray gaskins had river cane for sale on his web site

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:45:21 pm »
im not sure, but gaskins site may be inactive.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 12:13:37 pm »
Hey osage bender,what part of the country do you live? Cane is really very common,although localized.With a little lookin',you've probably got it somewhere near to you.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 06:58:07 am »
Any tips on harvesting can for arrows? Size, etc? Things to avoid? What about sourwood shoots?

I have a friend with a bamboo grove, it gets to be only about 1.5"dia when mature. Has it any use?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 09:36:20 am »
Try to get back in the middle of the patch and pick canes that are about 3/8" diameter at the big end, have long spaces between the nodes, and don't have a lot of low branches. The part of the cane from the ground to the branches is the best part-it's rounder without the big flat divots behind the nodes. Also, only cut canes that are at least a year old, the younger canes that still have the papery sheaths attached are often too thin-walled and will be flimsy, spine weak, and crush or break when you're straightening them. Cane will shrink some as it dries. With sourwood shoots, I like to cut them a good bit bigger than the final shaft size. they shrink a lot on drying, and part of the diameter is bark and cambium that will be removed. I have better luck and less warpage by cutting little-finger sized shoots and planing them down to the diameter/spine i want.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:14 am »
Trading is fun, but PineHollow longbows does sell river cane.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers