Author Topic: sinew backing oily wood  (Read 3983 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
sinew backing oily wood
« on: December 10, 2008, 04:26:08 pm »
does anybody have any experience with applying sinew backing to oily woods like ipe, i have managed to glue a bamboo backing to ipe after seriously degreasing it, but have been unsucsessful with wood glue, so i am a bit nervous about trying a sinew back with hide glue??
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: sinew backing oily wood
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:13:27 pm »
I would prep the back of the bow and then warm it up to make the oils come up then clean it really well with acetone and right after you clean it size the back with the hide glue

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:19:24 pm »
I have a few ipe bows that I backed with sinew and I didn't prep them in any way other than sanding and wiping with a damp cloth.  The sinew and hide glue show no signs of separating.  I did this before I read that it is better to degrease the wood before applying sinew.

I think some ipe species are more oily than others....so I would degrease it just to be safe.  You should be fine either way.

David's method make a lot of sense too.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
I sinew-backed a really oily osage stave once, degreased it with Red Devil lye, roughed it up and sized it, and the hide glue stuck like...well....glue.:)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:29 pm »
 i use acetone ,,  never had a plm degresin one that way but iv also been told that napatha sopa works real good   but havent tryed it  someone had a post about it here a while back i think  brock

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:46:13 am »
I have made sinew backed bulletwood. I roughed the wood with iron saw blade and degreased the wood with acetone.
I got 65cm draw from 124cm bow with 8cm reflex. I have not finnished the bow, so it has just been drawn some 100's of times, but really shot.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 03:11:52 pm »
thanks for the advice so far, good sound advice. this ipe is oozing oil, so i will degrease it first and heating sounds like a good idea, but it looks like its gonna work.
can not get lye or naptha over here so i wiil use acetone
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 04:18:33 pm »
Dawn dish washing liquid(or the Welsh counterpart)and warm water will work also as will wood ash and water but acetone is easiest.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC