Author Topic: Bamboo/Cane Finish  (Read 8734 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Bamboo/Cane Finish
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:34:18 pm »
Just interested in what everybody's opinion is on the best finish for boo arrows.  I'm working on some and was hoping to get some ideas.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo/Cane Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:48:59 pm »
I like mine au natural! I have used Tru-Oil.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:30 pm »
I'm liking Tru-oil more all the time-tough, easy and effective. The natural rind on cane/boo is a pretty good finish in itself, but I usually smooth the nodes down and often sand the rind so that I can dye or paint the shafts, so I usually slap some finish on there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:17:19 am »
I've been leaving mine natural other then the sanded nodes where I covered them with Tru-oil. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:42:56 am »
I've been playing with sanding both the nodes and the outer rind off, then using a wipe on poly to seal the shaft. Mainly because I have had a hard time using duco or fletchtight to glue on feathers. I have mostly used fletch tape in the past. I have never been able to get any glue to stick to natural cane. What do you guys use?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 07:18:24 pm »
Rick I'm working on some also, sanded the nodes and rind off then 5 or 6 coats of tru oil with fine
steel wool inbetween :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:33:14 pm »
Natural and tru oil here.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:34:29 am »
Seems like tru oil is the way to go. I sanded the nodes and rind off as well.  Then dyed one with water based aniline dye.  So i'll give the tru oil a go.  Thanks for the help.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 06:54:37 pm »
i use a massey finish on several of my sets.  it is almost impervious to the elements.  i lost a cane arrow for over a year.  found it one day looking for another arrow.  the bugs had eaten the fletching but the shaft was in perfect shape.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 12:19:02 am »
Chris, Do you dip or wipe? :o  ::)

ps. I put the mag in the mail today!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Roy

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:06:59 am »
I like to use tongue oil, the type you brush on, then wait about 6 to 7 minutes and wipe off with a rag.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:10:07 am by Roy »

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:46 pm »
I leave mine alone ,or stain them .These are poke berry stained.

Ralph

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:45 pm »
pat, i use a 1" foam brush to put my massey finish on.  i tried a bristle brush one time but it left streaks in the finish.  if you have a couple arrows to finish, the five minute epoxy and alcohol works great.  they are ready to fletch in 15-20 minutes.  if you have a full set then the two ton epoxy will works better but takes a while longer to cure.  one coat is all i usually use but applying a couple coats of massey finish will leave a diamond hard finish that is slick as two eels getting it on in a bucket of snot.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 08:24:59 am »
Cheapshot, I've been doing some sanding on the fletching end and then some fletching glue (not fletch-tite, can't think of the name). I also have left a 1/8" or so of the quill exposed on each end and sinew wrapped. This has worked pretty good although I've had a couple of feathers still lose their bond with the cane but stay on due to the sinew wrap.

Talking with Sawfiler a couple of weeks ago, he sands the cane on the feather end, wipes with denatured alchohol, and then uses super glue. No sinew wrapping and hasn't had any problem with feathers falling off. Not the most primitive, but it works and yields a good hunting arrow.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 04:19:52 pm »
Thanks Greg, I have some super glue gel I have been wanting to try. I'll try sanding the fletch area, and an alcohol wipe.