Author Topic: Twist and bends?  (Read 2124 times)

Marshrat

Twist and bends?
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:14:07 pm »
Woohoo finally got this BL stave worked into a working bow. From the onset I have been fighting twist and bends and for the most park I got them all out.( using dry heat from a coleman stove) Its ready for tip avorlays and a finish now the bottom limb has a slight twist but when I string it and draw it  goes away and lines up is this going to be ok? I also have a slight bend in the handle that bring the string to the side of the handle which to me would lessen arrow parodox but will it hurt the bow? About to start on elk horn tip averlays and elk horn shelve. Just needs some thoughts before I go any farther.
 This has been quit a project. I wanted my first completed bow to be without aid of any power tools and its been fun but i see a few new power tools in the near future. Its 60" ntn 59# @ 28" flatbow

Thanks Again
 Dennis     

Offline Keenan

Re: Twist and bends?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »
 Dennis , the bow limb doesn't need to be straight and in line only the string from tip to handle to tip. I actually like an offset handle and most of my bows bend all over the place. The limb will always travel in a forward motion once it's released.
  Check out the Serviceberry bow that I just posted a week ago. It has a severe jog in the upper limb and shoots like a dream. The thread is a few pages back so I'll pull it forward for you.

Marshrat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:19 pm »
Thanks man looks good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:47:24 pm »
 Marshrat,  I like the snaky character and thier have been some nice bows done by several others that are way more snaky then mine. There is a pic of a super snaky vine maple that Gordon won May BOM with in the 2008 calendar. Pappy has made some very snaky bows as well.