Author Topic: Heat treat repair  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Badger

Heat treat repair
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:59 am »
  A friend gave me a bow he built to see if I could repair it somewhat. The bow was osage and had close to 5" of string follow, was drawing about 35# instead of 45# and had a huge hinge in both limbs right out of the fades, I had to remove a lot of wood just get the limbs bending to match the hinges, I did a pretty slow deep heat treat piked 1" off each limb tip and ended up at 44#@26" with 0 string follow. Decent performance. I was really surprised I picked up so much, going to let it rehydrate for a week before I give it back and see how it is holding up, I may pike another inch if I have to. Steve

Offline Keenan

Re: Heat treat repair
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:23:38 am »
 Nice save Steve. Thanks for sharing the results ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 09:45:58 am »
Nice one, Steve! Do you have any pics?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:20:52 am »
Good work, Steve. Got pics? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:09:16 pm »
 Nice job Steve. I did almost the same thing with an Osage that I had one limb, the lower one, kept drooping on me. It was tillered close to perfect and shot real good. But I lost 5# because of that limb. I took the heat gun to it on the low setting and worked that weak limb over for quite a while and bent the limb in a slight reflex. After I shot it 3 or 4 dozen times it settled in close to the upper limb and I missed the target weight by 3#. I boxed it and put it in the mail.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?