Author Topic: Sinew backed osage - how short?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Sinew backed osage - how short?
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:26:26 pm »
Hi there i am planning on starting a bow that is short enough to comfortably use from a pop up blind. i was planning on a sinew backed osage, but i havn't done a sinew backing before. i was wondering how short do you think this bow could be made? my draw is just shy of 27" and i don't shoot a real heavy bow, anything in the 45-55 lb range at 27" would be great. i could also try static tips if that would help me shorten it a little more, but i havn't done that before either.  thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline brownhillboy

Re: Sinew backed osage - how short?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:10:04 pm »
Well, I don't have any experience with sinew backed osage, but I did just post an unbacked hickory bow that is 51"ntn and draws 27", although it only reaches 35# at that length.  From what I've read, I think you should be able to do something near that size with sinew backed osage.  Good luck! :)
south central VA

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:52:07 pm »
Hi,
I hunt out of a pop-up (Ameristep Outhouse) blind with a 60" NTN hickory backed osage longbow. I'm shooting from sitting, off a stool. No problems.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:21:20 am »
 I have a 60" sinew backed hickory I hunt with. It works well in a pop up blind. Anything in the 55 - 60 inch range should be achievable with sinew.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 12:23:24 am »
I had an old experienced bowyer advise me many yrs ago,that with sinew n osage,a 2xDL was good,but a 2x DL plus 2" was better.For a stiff handled bow,2xDL plus 4".

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:23:47 am »
This one should be fun to see as it is built.  Post lots of pics!!??

OK, I've got to ask, WHAT ARE STATIC TIPS?

thanks, piper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:45:57 am »
Keith....Static Tips are Recurved Tips that dont bend....they keep their Recurve shape throughout the whole motion of the Draw....used to be really popular in the Bows the Greats from Michigan built back in the Thirties....like Bear and Grumley to name a couple....I still have an old Static Bear with Brush Nocks.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 11:12:42 am »
i guess my first question would be

"what kindof pop up blind are you using and how tall at center is it?will you be standing or sitting when shooting in the blind?"

you gotta know all of this before you can decide on how long to make it.
i have a 66" boo/hick r/d  that can be shot out of my double bull matrix from a sitting position without a problem.not so well though with 2 people in the blind.
but it can still be done..

good luck
                                                                                     peace,
                                                                                             tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 07:40:45 pm »
Thanks guys, i am thinking about a 56" bendy handle type bow, wish me luck, thanks,dan.
45# at 27"

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:36:51 am »
56" bend through the handle sinew backed osage is perfectly possiable at a 27" draw. You could probbaly even go to 55" if your tillering skilz are good.

Here is a 52"  sinew backed osage static recurve that is being drawn to 27".

Lots of things are possible with Osage and sinew.

Steve