Author Topic: For Discussion: Recurve vs. Straight bow  (Read 26134 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: For Discussion: Recurve vs. Straight bow
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 02:22:08 pm »
Justin you got iit right I do believe, I'm happy with the bows I've been building they shoot an arrow well enough
to take deer and they are durable. But lately I've been trying to apply Steve's mass theory and reading Tim Bakers chapter in TBB 4
has gotten me thinking more on the subject of efficiency and performance. I like working on Character bows and they are more finicky they also can be optimized
to some extent.

ps most of my bows are pretty darn ugly so you would like them Justin :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 02:27:52 pm »
A long bow is more accurate for me to shoot than a recurve...and to a point, the longer the better. To get the most from a recurve I believe you have to go short; for me, 60" with 6" static recurves. That puts a lot of stress on the working portion of the limb...theoretically shortening its life.  With lots of practice, I can shoot a recurve pretty well...or at least I think I can until I shoot a long bow again.
   Probably my favorite bow style is a 64" to  66", relatively narrow osage with a moderately crowned belly and narrow tips, pulling about 55#@26".  
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

vCo2v

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 03:57:04 pm »
what does stacking mean? I constantly hear about stacking, but have yet to comprehend what it means.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 05:51:11 pm »
Stacking is when a bow suddenly becomes harder to pull back.  All bows get harder to pull as you pull back....but stacking is a sudden change....making it seem like the bow cannot be pulled back further without breaking it.  A bow with a "smooth" draw has no stack.  Most people like bows with a smooth draw.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 05:55:30 pm »
Stacking Means that the further you draw the bow the more pounds per inch it gains.. The shorter the bow the more it stacks.. For example A 68" bow will gain 3# per inch of draw weight from 26 to 28" and a shorter bow lets say a 58" bow will gain 4# from 26" to 27" of draw and then gain 5# from 27" to 28".. Ok I hope this helps.. If not maby sombody better with words might jump in..

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 05:56:28 pm »
Patrick we must have been typing at the same time..lol.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »
Yep ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

vCo2v

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »
so is that why i hear that longbows that are full compass are easier to draw?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 10:17:18 pm »
Dana,my fastest bow, undoubtedly,was a 64 ",osage recurve,I made a few years ago.It was tillered 58#@27",held 2" of reflex ,with 6"  curves.I had to string it with a bow stringer,but with it's early weight,and it's "opening up" character,it did'nt lack much staying up with a 55# glass bow. It was built from the cleanest peice of boisd'arc I'd ever seen,which I cut off a deer lease I was on at the time.I gave it away to a church auction fund raiser. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

AKAPK

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 10:57:49 pm »
Dana I just restored a blackhawk hornet that was slower than The holmgaard I just finished, i would say that recurves just more work and noisier unless its a Hupa or Hoopa style with recurved tips which are about3 feet long. Don't matter to me I like to shoot whatever and like wachin how the arrow flight goes to the target.Fun.PK
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:53:57 am by AKAPK »

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 11:13:09 pm »
  I hope we never find out the real answer to this thread, 1/2 the fun is trying to prove it one way or the other. I have had a lot of shorter staves that just needed to be recurves, I love shooting 60" or shorter recurves. My typical bow is a 62" r/d bow or a 64" straight bow but lately I have been falling for the elbs at about 68". Finding they can perform just about as well as anything else. Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 11:14:04 pm »
Most people leave much more mass on the tips of a recurve than is needed.  I personally have never seen or heard of a straight bow shooting as fast as a recurve.  I know I've never done it.  I have seen some impressive numbers from straight limbed bows but only when they have been drawn to a longer draw length.  With the same power stroke and the same draw weight a recurve will shoot faster.  

Also I don't believe a working recurve is faster than a static recurve.  There are a couple of things that work against a working recurve.  First the outer limbs have to be wider and that slows a bow down through air resistance.  Second, it's a fact that a  bows performance is improved when the outer limbs are stiff and inflexible
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 03:54:36 am »

Other than just esthetic's, I can't see putting the time and trouble in making a static re curve.  I feel if you are going to make a re curve, make it a working re curve.  I believe that a working re curve, all being equal, is slightly faster than a straight bow.  But then again, I am not an experienced Boyer like you guys.  But it just seems to make sense to me if you have essentially two little bows, to add to the main bow, it should be faster.  Re curves are not as easy to shoot as long bows, but once you get used to them, they are great.  Just my opinion, and like I said, I am not an accomplished Boyer.  Oh, and while I am at it, what the heck is a " Perry " reflex ?
                                                                                  Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 06:49:20 am »
Great discussion guys, and talk about varied answers, sounds like a good topic for the Bowyers Bar eh :)
I guess I need to start making a few recurves to see for myself. I don't believe that just because a bow has recurves
its necessarrily faster than a straight bow. All bows must have the proper design to be efficient.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:18 am »
Dana.........just buy a "Chrony" brand....they are simple....and dependable too......I have had one for years....and just bought another one for the sake of having a spare.....It works great from Bows...paintballs....to my 7.62 X 54 Russian
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome