Author Topic: How do you flatten tip of a BB bow to add horn or wood?  (Read 5009 times)

Offline seantOH

How do you flatten tip of a BB bow to add horn or wood?
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:20 am »
I am finished tillering my first bow and wanted to reinforce the nock area with walnut.  I tried using my belt sander to flatten the tips and I have screwed them up!  I could not keep the area flat.  What method do you use to prepare the tips for a smooth, blended transition into the bamboo back?  Thanks!!

sean

Offline DanaM

Re: How do you flatten tip of a BB bow to add horn or wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:49 am »
For tip overlays I usually use a fine rasp and then a scraper.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:11:30 am »
Go esay with power tools! You can screw things up in an awful hurry. That being said, I do use a belt sander to flatten the back to add overlays. I do mark reference lines, so I don't over do it. Maybe until you get more experience, do as Dana advised, and go with hand tools. Cut your back on a shallow angle, and your overlay material the same, and they should end up looking something like this:
Leave the overlay oversized, and work it down to final size by hand.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline seantOH

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:14:49 pm »
I thought I had everything under control.  That's what I get for thinking!  Thank you bot for the advice.  I will see if I can get them flat with the rasp and scraper.  Bte, the picture of your bow tip is great!!

seantOH

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »
It's not my bow tip! I didn't have any pics of my bow tips (I'm presently at work), but it gives you the idea of what I'm talking about. This is one of mine:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:04:36 pm »
I first draw reference marks and then use a fine rasp to remove wood to the marks. Then I use a small file to get it more or less flat. I finish with a flat hardwood block backed with 100 grit sandpaper. I used a power sander once and almost ruined the bow when I slipped so now I only use handtools for this.
Gordon

Offline aruge

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:14:45 pm »
You can lay a piece of sandpaper on the tip and run the overlay material over the sandpaper until it has the same profile as the tip, then you can glue them together, and shape the overlay however you want it to look. Hope this helps. This way you don't weaken the material under the overlay.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:29 pm »
 I do like Gordon. I have more control with a file.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:31:46 am »
I would not call it reinforcing, but decorating, since wallnut is softer than bamboo.  ;)

But just make the bamboo flat and glue the overlay, how is not important.
File (or sand or saw) the bamboo flat with area big enough for the overlay and glue it.
The overlay may touch the core wood(as pictured above) or it may not.

(It is also possible to make the overlay curved to match the bamboo curvature, this will give you more work
without benefit.)

The easiest it just saw the nock to the back and file the edges round and put a piece of supporting thread around the bow
2cm from the nock.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:36:09 am by jkekoni »

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:47:43 pm »
I've used both a belt sander and scrapper/rasp combination. I'm just very careful when using the belt sander.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:24 pm »
I've done many both ways. I recommend practicing on a scrap limb first if using the bench sander. Use masking tape to mark where you want the sander to stop, and draw a line down the side of the tip to get the angle you want. Use a fine belt on the sander-at least an 80 grit.,  and be looking from the side when you set the tip onto the sander so you can see what you are removing.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 11:40:19 am »
I start with the disc side of a belt sander, finish with a flat file. Sometimes I get a perfect fit, others I have to sand or file a little here and there to get a good fit. I hold the overlay on the bow, and put the combination up to one of the ceiling lights in my shop. If I see any light under the overlay I keep fitting and sanding until I have a perfect fit.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 09:16:40 pm »
I hold the overlay on the bow, and put the combination up to one of the ceiling lights in my shop. If I see any light under the overlay I keep fitting and sanding until I have a perfect fit.

Yep, that's exactly how I do it also.
Gordon

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »
I'm the opposite-I find it much, much easier to get a true flat mating surface with a belt sander than with hand tools. As was mentioned, you just have to be careful.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline seantOH

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 10:12:24 am »
Thanks for all of the input!!

seantOH