Author Topic: New Osage ,still in the works.  (Read 13017 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
New Osage ,still in the works.
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:48:13 am »
I cut this wood in 02,debarked it in 05 and roughed out a bow in May of this year.It is some of the really dark and dense Osage that I have made some bows from before and really like that kind  of wood.It is 60 n-n.I have it straightend and tillered out to 55@24,then I put it back on the form
and heat treated the belly,flipped the tips and put some tip overlays made out of deer leg bone.
It is the first time I have used leg bone for this and I really like it,looks like Ivory. I plan on finishing
the tiller this weekend I am shooting for 55@26 I think I have plenty of room to do that while
tweaking the tiller a little.Here are a few pictures of how it is coming. :) The timber skin it what
I plan on backing it with,unless I can beg GregB out of a Copper head skin that he has that matches the one I have ,a pair of them are hard to come by.We may have to flip for them.  ;) ;D
     Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

GraemeK

Re: New Osage ,still in the works.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:08:39 am »
Hi Pappy

Looks good -I really like the recurved tips but every time I try it they just straighten back out even thought there is tones of wood.
Any tips on how to keep them bent -- everyone else seems to be able to get it to work -- must be holding my mouth wrong.

Graeme

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:16:21 am »
I just use dry heat on Osage and don't string it back up for a day or 2.I do the same when I heat treat the belly. I don't leave the tip extremely heavy,maybe just a little heaver than the rest of the
limb,but not much. :) I don't do static, mine work toward the end of the draw.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:52:09 am »
I plan on backing it with,unless I can beg GregB out of a Copper head skin that he has that matches the one I have ,a pair of them are hard to come by.We may have to flip for them.

I'll bring my skins Saturday...or maybe Friday afternoon.  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:42 am »
Thats a gnarly looking bow Pappy. Looks right up your alley.  ;) Should be a great shooter, and at 60" it should fit your short draw length pretty well.  ;)  ;D  8) Can't wait to see it with those copper head skins on it.  ;)  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:10:19 am »
Very nice looking bow! Wow, those bone overlays look really good. Nice job.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:38:04 am »
Looks great, Pappy! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:24 am »
Very nice Pappy. You are getting all the goody out of those recurve limbs. Nice work as always.
   Between the bows and the deer you are a machine this year!  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dismount

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »
Pappy, thats the kind of dark osage you and I like. Does it have  alot of rings? My dark one I just finished up is 58'' lond with slightly working handle, But my tip dont' look as good as yours. Pretty sweet. Dismount

Ranger B

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:22:43 pm »
I tried to get him to take it hunting this past week.  He's probably done to much work on it now to kill with it.   ;)
Then again Pappy is getting picky on shot selection.  After GregB killed one head on Pappy will only take a head on or an anal shot.  Anything else is a gimmie. 

We got quite a laugh out of the frontal/anal shot selection this past week.  Probably had to be there, but I'm still chuckling now that I think about it.

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 03:23:48 pm »
Great lookin' bow Pappy. I've almost got mine done with the timber on it. I'll post it up soon.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:32:24 pm »
I think it should be disposed of so send it to me and I'll see that it is done  properly. Seriously nice lookin bow great work as usual. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:44 pm »
Looking good Pappy! Bout time to gitter done though, been in the works for seven years now? Sheesh ;D. Better go with those timbers, I think Greg'll win the flipping contest ::) ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:23:16 pm »
  Looks like it's gonna be a meat getter,Pappy. I know I liked that dark Osage I got from you two years ago. I can't wait to see it dressed up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 06:45:06 am »
Ya for some reason I really like this kind of wood,the only thing I wonder about is Badger's
weight thing ,because this wood is dense and heavy,same lay out as most of my bow and
haven't weighted it but it has to be almost twice as much.I have a couple more out of this same type wood and they have held up great and very smooth with no hand shock. Maybe finished it would be about the same because the limbs do get pretty thin. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good