Author Topic: A Bent Stick Eh  (Read 13434 times)

Offline DanaM

A Bent Stick Eh
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:23:27 pm »
Here's a Vine Maple I just finished up. 50# at 26", 60" NTN, no overlays with a simple cordage grip.
Stained with leather dye and sealed with tru-oil. I've been working on this for a good year and half
it was seriously crooked, the tips were a good 5" outside the handle then throw in the knots and
whoop de dos and I was stumped for a long time so it sat in the corner of shame. Finally I felt up to the task
so I steamed it and got the tips about 3" closer, then 3 more sessions with the heat gun and while not centered
the string is on the handle. Pulled one splinter while straightening it but managed to remove it by some side tillering.
While the tiller looks stiff in the outer third of the limb they are bending and for a problem stave I'm happy with it.
Shoots hard and fast and overall I'm impressed with Vine Maple. Now who has a straight piece to trade :)
Will be giving this one away also haven't decided yet but its between two people :) Comments good or bad welcome.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

Re: A Bent Stick Eh
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:55:39 pm »
Very nice bow! Its about time you posted one :)  That vine maple seems like good stuff
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:26:02 pm »
Looks good Dana. The f/d pic pointing left looks like you have a more even bend thru out. Nice dye job too. Someone is gonna be a lucky recipient! 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:30:33 pm »
 Very nice Dana, Congratulations on your crooked stick success ;) Love the dye job,character and very nice profile. Looks like a slight R/D.   I'm sure whoever ends up witb it, will fall in love with it.  Glad to see a yooper venturing into the realm of the dips, dives, and turns of VM. ;D  Aagin very nice bow ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:28:28 pm by Keenan »

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:37:05 pm »
Nice job, Dana!  Making those character bows is sure a lesson in patience, eh? I'm havin' fun with it! I've got another yew selfbow on the go at the moment. Hope to get it done in the next month, or so.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:50 pm »
Seems like all I work on is crooked wood lately ;)
Pat I agree with you the FD pointing left is the better side :)
Thanks Keenan just go ahead and send me a VM stave along with some of that rock you picked up ;)
Where ya been David I've posted 2 bows fairly recently :)
adb looking forward to trying Yew one of these days :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 04:38:15 pm »
Awesome Bow Dana.....Just the way I like them.....Simple and Sound.......I too love Vine Maple...and have two in the Closet....and 4 staves in   the garage.......remember........Santa knows Who's Naughty and Nice............. >:D.............also .....can you Box up some Snow???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:43:50 pm »
SWEET! Great looking bow for such a challengeing piece of wood. I think the tiller looks real good , Dana.Like the dye job, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 05:39:46 pm »
Mike Trenary Toast for Vine Maple  ;D (Inside joke for you non yoopers)

Thanks eddie, as ya can see winter has arrived so be on the look out for old Yoopers heading down yer way ;)

Manistique, MI

kyleM

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:23:08 pm »
Nice bow dad, i sure could use something like that down here, to stick  pig, or a deer on base! And as for that snow... :( god i hate the south even more now that i see its already on the ground back home!!!!!!!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:54:06 pm »
Thanks Kyle I keep giving bows away but I haven't made you one yet, whats up with that eh :P
Perfecting my technique son ;) Don't wory I have a piece of osage with yer name on it :)
Oh dang its snowing again 8)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:48:31 am by DanaM »

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 07:11:48 pm »
Looks  pretty good. Nice bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 07:29:45 pm »
Nice......i like vine maple as well. Snow up there already!!!!!! That means wont be long till its snowin here.

Steve

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 09:23:04 pm »
Your gonna make somebody happy Dana.Good job on a gnarly piece of wood!! God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 10:01:30 pm »

Nice all the way around.  And, you are permitted to smile in pictures now.
Man, that snow makes me wish I was in Montana now.

Wayne