Author Topic: Pressure flaking  (Read 3615 times)

Offline toms22

Pressure flaking
« on: November 09, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
What is the best way for your pressure flacker to be. I have hammered the 1/4 inch copper rod four sides down to a point and sharpen the point. I seem not able to get my flakes to go half way. Also does North Carolina have some flint to knap. Just getting started and would like to go to a Knap in and watch and learn. I have watch the people on the you tube knap and they make it look real easy. My question is where do these people get there tools and pads.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Pressure flaking
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:18:43 pm »
I believe that Wolfwatcher makes them.....I bought all of mine off of eBay though....got some nice tools at a reasonable price..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:29 pm »
I would recommend you not take up flint knapping and a lot of the PA bowyers would say the same thing about building bows.  It can become a lifelong addiction.  Have been beating up on rocks for about 50 years and am still amazed at what you can find hidding in a rock!  If you choose not to take this advice then let me give you some ideas!  Find someone in your area that can show you the basics.  Go to a knappin. It took me years to learn on my own what you can pick up in a couple of days watching a good knapper. They are all over the country except Wyoming where I live.  Start with rocks that have are fairly low on the hardness scale.  There is help on the internet.  Get some good tools.  I can help you with some basic tools, but you will have to figure out what works for you and how you want to knapp!  Wear safety glasses and be prepared to bleed a little!  So what is the reward?  Harvesting a deer or elk with a home made bow, arrows, and points you made is one of the greatest satisfactions you will experience in life!  Good Luck! ;)  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline toms22

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:16:00 am »
Wolfwatcher thanks for the reply. Do make the tools and where I can I see them. Do you have a web site.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:56:01 am »
No I don't have a web site, but you can PM me and I can show you some pictures on an email!  I don't charge for the tools because they are made of modern materials, plus some bones.  I think its called "aiding and abetting" just to get a new fellow started.  Once you have learned the basics, then you can go to the all natural materials.  I think slag is the easiest material to learn to work with and you can find it in most rock shops and its cheap!  Don't say I did not warn you about how addictive flint knapping can be.  At least you have joined a bunch of dedicated and talented people that will be willing to help you get going!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:55 am »
Toms,
where you from in NC?
I am in the WS area. we have several guys in the region that are really good.
Yes we get together and knapp.
There is an annual Schiele knapp in in gastonia in aug.
We usually also knapp at the annual Hickory shoot. and this year we had the first annual NC primitive skills gathering in Burlington nc.

Kick around. you will find some folks in the area beating on rocks. and lots of good info here.
wade

on edit:
sorry didnt read your question right. ...
local rock is mostly quartz and rhyolite. hard stuff to knap but some of the guys here turn out nice points from it. natives did.
N2
East Coast of Nowhere