Author Topic: black walnut for bow wood  (Read 21660 times)

Offline backwoods

black walnut for bow wood
« on: November 06, 2008, 01:13:37 am »
last winter i had the top blow out of a walnut tree. i split it into staves. will this make a good bow? if so do i use the white wood under the bark or use heart wood. just finished my first bow it was a hickory board bow. i would welcome any help.

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Re: black walnut for bow wood
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:51:54 am »
FYI Tim Baker in TBB4 says that this is a "wonderful overlooked bow wood". He also states that bows can be made of all sapwood, all heartwood, or mixed. There are additional comments about its properties you might want to have a look as you design the bow. Good luck, Dave
NW Montana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:04:41 am »
Yes....I have used it both ways....and made ELB's and Paddlebows from it....I really like Walnut for ow wood
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:55:12 pm »
Nothing wrong with walnut for making bows. I've used it quite a bit with a hickory and maple backing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:55:01 pm »
right under the bark it is water proof i believe so that would be good to use the wood right under the bark

it might be cool to go down a couple of rings becasue a half heart half sap wood bow  the contrast would be awesome
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:30:23 pm »
FYI Tim Baker in TBB4 says that this is a "wonderful overlooked bow wood". He also states that bows can be made of all sapwood, all heartwood, or mixed. There are additional comments about its properties you might want to have a look as you design the bow. Good luck, Dave
so if a bow has a sapwood and heartwood combe it wont hurt a whole lot? i got a hickory stave that was bugging me about that- i also dont own ttbb 3 or 4, something ill look into. as far as the walnut, ancientarchery.com, there not selfbows, but tits some of the most beautiful work i've seen, and he uses walnut exclusivley, backed with hickory or ash. this guy used to sell em for a living around here, a great site too, worth looking at(sorry its not a link, but its a simple name) -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

roofus

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 04:04:45 pm »
Would black walnut work built from a board similar to the Sam ? Build along. Search Engine: Bow building for apartment dwellers and poor people.
Basically a flat board bow with a cloth backing?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:32:53 pm »
im  just finishing up a paddle bow for the wife for x mas  it s half black,  half white sap wood blended togather  rellley looks good iv made several bows out of walnut  and like tim says it make s a great bow just have to be extra carfel tilling   it  brock

Rich Saffold

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 02:17:17 pm »
I too like black walnut, and its a little stronger in compression than tension so sometimes a backing is wise, but I've made my share of selfbows as well. I prefer the heartwood as its a little heavier in most cases.

Pyramid styles are good since it gives the back a little more strength, and you have more of this beautiful wood showing as well.

Rich

roofus

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 04:52:43 pm »
I see how people can get addicted to this. So many suitable woods and so may backing combinations! Dang, when will I find time to hunt?
Anyway I thing Walnut with a bamboo back would be beautiful, Don't know how practical, but it would be pretty.