Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 5501 times)

Offline Stonedog

Which one?
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »
OK...I KNOW this has come up before, but my search-fu is weak tonight.....so here goes.

At the beginning of the year I will have $400 to spend on a new bandsaw.

I was thinking the 14" 3/4 horse Grizzly OR the 12" 3/4 Craftsman.....

I CANNOT spend for than $400......so telling me to get an 18" just won't work....

Your thoughts please?
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

radius

Re: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:13:49 pm »
hey stonedog, just cheap out and buy the ryobi 9"  ... it's very inexpensive and will cut through hardwoods like osage just fine.  Get  a 3/8" blade for it.  Save yourself a couple hundred bucks for good materials.

may you find shade and water

radius

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:39:29 pm »
Go for the 14".   They are heavy, last forever and there are lots of parts, replacement materials, accessories available, lots are interchangeble between Grizzly, Jet and Delta.  Blades are everwhere.  I have two of them, one home and one at work.   I'd hate to let either one of them go.   

piper

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:46:26 pm »
hey stonedog go with the grizz,ive got one its great..right now its on sale 395.00..........robustus

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:52 pm »
 Don't buy the Rigid, made in China from Home Depot. Mine was a week old before the blade adjustment broke. Cheap cast aluminum. And it's not backed by Home Depot or the same Rigid company that makes all the pipe wrenches I buy every year. Now the tire on the bottom wheel is jumping off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:21:31 pm »
you can always look on line on those 4-sale sites and find a good used one cheaper also ;D

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:48 pm »
Stay away from a Rigid bandsaw. I bought one, absolute junk! I took it to warranty repair because the wheels wouldn't track, they couldn't fix it. Rigid sent me a replacement saw and half the parts were missing from the box. I gave the replacement away and bought a Griz, couldn't be happier.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:04:16 am »
has anybody used one of these????

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32208

i dont know anything about bandsaws...   but i like to buy from this store its local and can put a no hassle extended warrenty on it... if it breaks they give me a new one...  no trying to fix it or send it to warranty department or anything like that...
just bring it in and get a new one....   or at least that is how there other warrenties work...   but i havent bought anything big from them jus some small stuff.. but i have yet had to use the warranty... maybe just lcky but i have always got some pretty good stuff from them...
so far....

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:02:44 am »
I bought the 14" craftsman on sale.  It was under 400 bucks with the stand.  I'm happy with it. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:07:11 am »
I have a Grizzly, 14", 1hp. It is a good machine and Grizzly has any parts and accessories you may need and a good tech support team. I have been buying Grizzly tools for almost 20 years and have never had a serious problem with any of them.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Badbill

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:12:25 am »
I think all the advice your getting on the type of saws that are good, is right on. The one thing I think they are leaving out is to ask you how much cutting on it are you planning to do? I only use mine once a week if I'm lucky, hence the Ryobi 9". If you plan on using one for more than that, or larger blocks of wood than the occasional bow, better go for the larger, heavy duty versions. Check them out and see what controls feel the best and work for you. In the end you are the one that has to live with it.
Bill

salad days

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 01:20:11 pm »
Repeat from about 4 other posts. DO NOT buy the Rigid! It is a total piece of junk and my fingers would get blisters if I typed all the things I hate about it. Pay attention to what people say here because you know a tool until you've spent hours trying to make it work right. I've written the pitfalls of the Rigid in so many posts that the company could probably sue me!

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 11:46:20 am »
Howdy StoneDog and Group,

Recently, I was Cruising Craig's List (actually looking for a large, belt sander) when I came across a really nice, 16" bandsaw.  It was a commercial grade, heavy duty thing from Germany.  It was described as, "hardly used" or "rarely used".  It was about four years old, had roller bearings as guides, cast iron pulleys and post...   NICE!

I was so interested that I looked up the cost of the '08 model for that saw ===> about $1,800.00!!  They were asking $500.00!
But, when I ran it past "the Boss", she asked me where I have room to keep it? :(.  End of story.

Point is...  Keep an eye on Craig's List, in your region, maybe a good, used bandsaw will pop up in the next few months.

Best of luck,
Canoe

Oh!  BTW, There is a book, 'Bandsaw Tuning' or 'Tuning Your Bandsaw', this is a must have for safety and for running a bandsaw correctly
Also, I have recently read a note about the importance of getting a high-end bandsaw blade - the note said it would make a Huge difference.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:57:13 am by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 01:51:49 pm »
You may be able to find a nice used one. Mine is an MIT (Michigan Industrial Tools) is 14" and was made in 1985. Its a work horse. Go Michigan products!

Steve

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »
For the moment....I will be making mostly hickory backed Ipe bows....and the occasional meare heath or holmegard stlye red oak.....

I figure I will make maybe 4-6 bows per year....

Still think I need the 14" right now?  It will prolly be at least a year before I am thru all of my current stock......
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying