Author Topic: Boo Bow Tiller check Help needed  (Read 5836 times)

Offline RT

Boo Bow Tiller check Help needed
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:01:04 am »
Hi ,

I am building a all boo D bow, it is 56" NTN with 3 " reflex glue up.
I have built a few D bows before, but most of them dont seem to get the correct final tiller  ( too much bending near the handle)

As such i am going slow on this on and would appreciate any bowyers feed back and suggestion on the tillering. what do i do next? continue to pull down on the string? remove material ? where?

The pic shows the bow drawn to 11-13" on a low brace hight string at 3 ".......

Many thanks in advance.

RT

[attachment deleted by admin]
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline Keenan

Re: Boo Bow Tiller check Help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:13:56 am »
 Rt, If you can post a few more pics it will help. Need unbraced to show the relaxed profile and also maybe a top view to see the taper of the limbs.   That will help dial things in.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 01:16:21 am »
yup what keenan said
lthough right now i would say work a littler more between 6-8 on both limbs but lets see those other pics first

peace,
                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline RT

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:11:32 am »
Hi Guys,

Here is a pic of the unbrace profile........ can u tell me what do you need to see the unbrace profile in order to determine the correct tiller of this bow, this piece of the jig saw i do not understand.

You enlightment is much appreciated.

Cheers! RT

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:09:38 am »
By comparing the un braced profile to the drawn profile you can see what is bending and whats not.
It doesn't appear that the flipped tips are unwinding yet so I would work that area a little. I like the them to bend slightly.
But my idea of the tiller will probably be different than what others say. On a D bow leave the handle area thick and stiff until
the end of the tillering process. Other than that it looks good what draw length and weight are you going for?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RT

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 08:19:00 am »
DanaM,

I am going for 50 to 55lbs at 24" draw....... if i read you correctly, in a reflex bow, when the bow is in relax mode, there should be some reflex to been seen at the tips correct?.............but when you have reached full draw, it should be a big event arch? (cant see any reflex at all)

I alway have the impression that the last 6 inches from the tips do not bend at all................?

ok, I have done a little wood removal from 6 to 8 and here is the pic attached. More advise and comments pls...................

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:48:34 am »
In the last picture you don't have it drawn as far as the previous picture.
The only reflex you have is in the kicked up tips and I like them to unwind a little but still look reflexed at full draw.
But that is what I like not necessarily what others like. Overall I think its looking good but I wouldn't remove anything in the middle(handle) area.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:22:30 am »
 RT,
   The main concern in building an efficient bow is to get as much wood working as possible. This also will help even the stress on the limbs and any wood that is not working wood is basically weight that is robbing energy from the bow.
  To see the "relaxed vrs. braced" or drawn just shows the degree of what is bending and already "working".
  I agree with Dana, The outer third needs to be bending some more. There is very little change from the relaxed profile, indicating that the wood is not "working" but only the center of the bow.
  You are correct to think that the tips should remain slightly stiffer. This is to avoid becoming "whip tillered" Meaning bending to much toward the tips. However excess weight near the tips is one of the biggest reasons for hand shock and loss of performance.
    I would remove some wood between grids 5 to 8 on both limbs. Then give us a pic with at the same brace and one a few inches more.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:09:58 pm by Keenan »

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »
I wouldn't touch the center of that bow at all!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
I echo what others have said - leave the area around the handle alone for now.
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:18:43 pm »
Keenan thanks for jumping in, you said it perfectly, sometimes I just can't explain what I'm seeing or thinking :-\

Manistique, MI

Offline RT

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:47:05 pm »
I am learning new stuffs here.................i will keep all posted once i do more wood removal.

Cheers!

Offline RT

Offline RT

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:44 am »
hi , i have actually removed wood by scraping 5 to 8 approx 90 to 110 times on each limbs., the area doesnt seems to move at all, yes, i do exercise the limbs after each scraping........

additionally, between 4 to 5 has developed crystalise on the belly boo.

yes, i have tempered the belly boo for 30 mins prior to glue up.......

Offline RT

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 04:46:56 am »
Hi all,

I have done more scraping and i think i have ruin the bow......... the black patch in the pics shows a patch of 3" boo that i have presurre wrap it with inner tube......... what do you think guys , should i continue or start on a news one?

I have done more scarping from the last threat., approx 180 scrap on each limbs but some how the 5 to 8 area doesnt seem to be bending at all...........................

any advise much appreciated here, Thanks.......RT