Author Topic: I think I'm finally getting it  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
I think I'm finally getting it
« on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:15 pm »
It has taken a while, but I think I've finally figured out how to make points flat, thin and sharp.  For the longest time, most of my work had the profile of a football.  :-[ The thickness kept me from doing anything that I could notch very deep and the edges while sharp, weren't anything I would feel comfortable putting in an animal for a clean kill.  Most of the time, they were even to thick to mount onto a 5/16" - 3/8" shaft.  Up until recently, I'd flail away with my boppers and take off good flakes, but most lacked the long thin scars necessary to thin. 

I'd heard you experts taking about the need for the tool, (copper, antler or hammerstone) to be soft enough to "grip" the edge.  That got me to thinking, if you want it to grip, you can't just whack the edge, but a "pull" upon contact is also required.  I started doing this and now I've thinned some pieces that I'd reached a dead end on before.  I thinned one piece last night by more than half, while preserving most of the width and all of the length.  Now, since the piece is thinner, the edge angle is such that I can achieve an edge that is less "blunt".

I'm on the road all this week, but hopefully I'll be able to post some pic's when I get back. 

And to think, I learned this just in time for our point swap.  Whew.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Dingleberry

Re: I think I'm finally getting it
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:27:24 pm »
Eureka, thats great Mike.  Look forward to seein your progress.  I can get a long flake every so often, but not on a consistent basis.  It is pretty durn exciting when things go the way you want em to! :)

Offline redwasp

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:57 pm »
i can only pressure flake. so your ahead of me. I need more time for all this stuff cant seem to get away from work. when i use percussion tools i get the same reults as you only much worse, bad stacks that wont allow thinning. so i strike harder and less acurate, guess what smack ouchhhhhh. let the throbbing begin.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:50 pm »
I travel a lot and I try and carry some rock and tools with me when I get a some spare time.  I have a little Plano Archery tool box that holds a few rocks and all the tools (less Ishi stick) that I need.  I got a few hours the other evening, went to a park and watched kids playing soccer and Ultimate Frisbee and went to work.  I  was able to thin a blade of Kay County that I'd given up on earlier.  I thought I'd give it a try in the John like Cowboy, but for where I'm at that might be a little much.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:48:50 pm »
 Paleoman Jim just put a 5 part series on you tube that really shows how to thin a biface (I think "preform") that might interest you.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:54 am »
I saw several of those.  Really good stuff.  Thanks

Mike

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:53:58 am »
Man I'm glad to hear that Mike! Like I always say - tonnage is the key to success. Not that you need to destroy a ton of rock to get good but you will get better with time and persistance. Learning to read the rock, abrade those platforms, get your angle right, and whack it with authority and accuracy right down that ridge - you'll get those long thin flakes you so very dearly desire ;D.
 I gave up on the "in the hotel john" knapping, you can't get away from breathing the dust - I wouldn't reccomend it :-X. We need to stay in touch, sounds like you travel as much as I do. We may wind up in the same neighborhood some time and could hook up for some quality knap time :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:19:27 am »
Cowboy I think you nailed it on tonage.It's hard to do if there's not a local or cheap rock to destroy.Get those platforms low,suport the spall so your not stopping the flake with your fingers,leg or however you support you hit.Getting your swing down is important,you want to hit the same way all the time till your comfortable with hitting what your aming for.Look at your rock ,sometimes if there's a riskey part go somewere else and work it ,lots of times you will improve the trouble area and give yourself a better chance of taking a nice flake off.When in doubt HIT IT!!!
Bone Pile
Venice Florida

jamie

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:34:43 am »
use your debitage . ive learned more from knapping debitage especially the really ugly chunks. im most proud of the points i had to earn from a nasty piece of rock than the easy ones. peace

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:47:25 pm »
Jamie:  I've started doing that.  It's amazing that what I thought was waste (debitage) now holds some potential for a point.  I also found a really sharp flake that makes a great scraper.  It's actually a flake off of a rock that blew up on me when I heat treated it in the char-coal smoker.  I've set it aside to work on bows and other wood working projects.  Trust me, I've kept just about everything I've broken so it's just a matter or looking around for it.

Paul:  With gas now below $2.00, I may load up Dad and head down to some of the honey holes you've told me about one of these days.  If I do, I'll drop you a PM.  Problem is, every time I plan a fun trip or even a family outing, I get sent to some "alternate location".

Mike

jamie

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 05:31:50 pm »
mike im looking forward to seeing your first stone tooled bow ;D

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 09:09:39 pm »
Keep me posted Mike. I have some no-brainer spots to pick up flint, if your in the right area maybe I can talk ya in :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:01:51 am »
All I need is a vector Victor.   ;D

Mike

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:31:25 pm »
When you get in the area, give me a sitrep...over ;D.