Author Topic: Black Locust Bow With Sapwood Back  (Read 12550 times)

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: Black Locust Bow With Sapwood Back
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:42 am »
Thanks michbow.

Thanks medicinewheel.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 12:02:13 am »
Have any of you BL users made a 28" 50+ with no crysyl-whatever they are called (little compression fractures on the belly) ??  I've got tons of it here in idaho and have one in progress but have had a really tough time chasing a ring, or even distinguishing between the rings.  Any advice on chasing BL rings?  I'm definately going to try the sapwood backing on my next one :-\  The one I'm working on also has a 1 inch knot right in the middle of the working limb.  You all think I've got a prayer of making it work like it's Osage cousins can?    thanks -nick
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 12:06:13 am »
oh yah, forget to mention how nice that bow is, nice work, I think I'll be copying that as well, better get a patent on that thing ;D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:57:47 am »
Hey thanks Nick. I've made several BL bows and never had any problem with compression fractures at all. I have one that is two years old now and draws 56 at 26 and has never had any belly problems. How dry is yours? I think chasing rings on BL that is too wet can be a bit tough. Also how wide are the rings? Some will not agree with me but just going by the results I've had I think BL is just as good as osage, I love the stuff.

Alan

Offline Keenan

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 11:07:31 am »
 Very nice bow Allen. I like sap wood contrast on bows when it doesn't effect performance. The braced profile looks especially good. Are you going to leave it natural on the finish or possibly do some design work on the back?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 03:04:25 pm »
Ditto everybody else's admiring comments. And bookmarked for Dec Self Bow of the Month unless you want it in January.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 03:14:16 pm »
Thanks Keenan, I'll leave the back natural on this one just to show off the sapwood.

Thanks Don, but this was a post from October that got bumped up again. It was in that months contest so don't enter it again.

Alan

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:36 pm »
That bow turned out real good.I like it.How does it shoot? God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 10:22:54 pm »
well, mine was at least 80% dry, still could have had a little more moisture than a cured stave,but I sealed it back up with the waxy stuff I use after I worked on it.  And I think the rings were a nice 1/8" so that shouldn't have given me any trouble.  I've since dulled my draw knife a bit on osage and maybe that will help?  Have you done any without the sapwood and still got no compression problems? oh yah, and how long have all your BL bows been?  and I assume a rigid handle? thanks -nick

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:07:17 am »
Thanks Pete, it shoots great.

Nick, you're right 1/8" rings shouldnt be any trouble. The dull draw knife may help, give it a try. Make sure you have real good light to work under, if you can take it out in the sun during the day that could help. This is actually the only BL I've done with sapwood, all my others have been heartwood with no compression problems. I've made most of them 62-64" with a stiff handle and I draw 26.

Alan

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 11:02:37 am »
It couldn't be my poor lighting in my shop ::)  I'll throw in the flood light bulb 8) next time I give it a try.  Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear BL is not like everything I've read and heard about compression fractures.  Maybe you've just hit a gold mine for all of us.  Thanks!  -nick

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 07:17:45 am »
Nice job on that BL.  I didn't know you could leave the sapwood on. I'll have to give that a try. It sure beats removing that thick layer.  Also the contrast is cool looking. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 10:52:33 am »
Nick, you need to be extra careful with your tillering on locust. If you over stress it in any one spot it will chrystal or fret. If designed properly and executed well locust will make a great bow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 11:12:26 am »
good to know, and thanks, I'll just get it tapered really nice and really flat before I put much stress on it.