Author Topic: Board bow tiller check and hi  (Read 5809 times)

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
Board bow tiller check and hi
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:04:21 am »
I've finally been getting back into my workshop after a summer long break (read: way too hot in the garage). Here's my first attempt since right after I got back from Iraq. Let me know what you think and please give any advice you can. It's a red oak board bow tillered at 54 lbs at 22" so far. I'm shooting for 55lbs at 28" when I'm done. Both limbs are the same length so I've tried leaving the right/bottom limb very slightly stiffer. I appreciate everyones help. Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Board bow tiller check and hi
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 12:48:04 am »
Very nice. Just need a bit more scraping towards the handle on both limbs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:23:37 am »
 I'm seeing the same as George is. Scrape a little more in the middle but be carefull on both limbs about 6-8" from the tips. Its starting to bend a bit more right there.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:05:06 am »
I agree with Keenan - if you are using a long string the tips are just starting to bend a little too much
Gordon

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:04:41 am »
first, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! 

Second, for us old grey haired dummies with wood shavings on the floor.......please explain how you have 50# now and can end up with 55# when you are done?   I'm sort of confused by that.   Or is it a matter of pulling 22: now and going to pull 28" or something later? 

Thanks, piper  (headed to Mississississippi to play a memorial service for a WWII INFANTRYMAN today. )

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 08:23:16 am »
hey, i agree with them on a little more towards the handle.  also would watch the tips, but hard to tell if the tips are still thick and im seeing the fade to the tips come up or bending.  where were you at?
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Mike_A

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 11:08:52 am »
The tips were something I was a bit concerned about too, and after looking at the pic closer I can kinda see what you guys are saying about them starting to bend a bit much. Armymedic the tips are still thick, till about 6" from the nocks and that is where the fade is at. Piper I'm shooting for 55 at 28" draw, but I'm only at 54 at 22" draw at the moment. As far as long or short string I have to make it difficult cause I'm at a kinda medium string. It keeps it at about an inch of brace. One thing I was kinda concerned with on this one is the handle glue up. My last one failed cause I had it bending too much in the handle and I was concerned with the same on this one. I kinda figured with it being a 72" bow it wouldn't hurt much to leave the fades a little stiffer. Please let me know what you think of my rational, I'm here to get better and I look forward to the constructive criticism. Thanks. Mike

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:32:53 am »
I see those weak spots near the tips as well, worse on the left limb than the right. Make yourself a Gizmo and take the guess work out of where to scrape.

Here is a link to how to make one.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=033419

Shooter_G22

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:39:03 am »
Hey Mike,

thanks for your service brother...   glad your back home..  safe and sound...

Offline Mike_A

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 03:15:09 pm »
Thanks everyone I'll take your advice and post it again when I have it a bit farther along. Have a good one. Mike