Author Topic: Rawhide backing before or after tillering?  (Read 3149 times)

loosenock

Rawhide backing before or after tillering?
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:47:43 am »
I have reduced a fine mulberry stave to shape.  It was a little green in the spring so I clamped it to angle iron at let the dry Colorado climate dry it out for about 8 months.  I am now ready to tiller.  Should I clean the back of the stave and glue my rawhide to it before I tiller or wait until after it is finished?  How much does rawhide add to the final draw weight?

Thanks for your help?

Joe

Offline sailordad

Re: Rawhide backing before or after tillering?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:53:32 am »
i haver never used it myself.
however i dont believe rawhide will add draw weight,its more for protection against abuse and to keep splinters down.

jm2cw

peace,
                                                                  tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:29:26 pm »
Unless you have a violated back ring, a swirling grain or you just want a rawhide backing it probably isn't necessary. Mulberry is an excellent self bow wood and usually with thick rings. I normally would add a rawhide backing after tillering or about half way through it. You want to be sure no corrections with heat will have to be done before you add the rawhide.
   On an osage bow I am working on now I added the rawhide backing early, before I stressed the bow because this stave has very thin rings and I couldn't get an un-violated back ring.      In many cases, rawhide will not add any additional draw weight. I guess if it is thick enough it might but it's physical weight would eliminate any advantage from the rawhide.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 04:05:31 pm »
Did you chase to a heartwood ring? If I am going to  back a bow I back it after long string tillering and before I string it with the short string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!