Author Topic: Yew Longbow  (Read 16621 times)

Offline Gordon

Yew Longbow
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:23:29 am »
Even though I have been building my own bows for a few years now, I had never made a traditional yew longbow. The main reason for that is good yew wood is not easy to come by and I wanted to hone my skills before I began cutting into my small stash. For this first attempt I selected a set of sister billets that I had harvested from a buddies property in the high Cascades. It’s not prime yew – there were several knots and one dog-leg that I tried, unsuccessfully to heat out. But the rings were tight and the ratio of sapwood to heartwood was good. I spliced the billets at the handle using a Z-splice and made it 66” ntn. The limbs are 1 ¼” wide at the fades and taper evenly to ½” at the tips. The design is asymmetrical with the top limb 2” longer than the bottom.  I like an asymmetrical design because the bow balances better in the hand when being carried. It smoothly draws 60# @ 27” and delivers an arrow with a gentle and satisfying thump. The overlays are some sort of tropical hardwood and the handle is natural elk with a Strunk style wrap. The bow is finished with 9 coats of Tru-oil.

I’ve always been a bit envious of my friend’s traditional yew longbows, but now I finally have one I can call my own. Here are some pictures:

Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Yew Longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:34:27 am »
hey gordon!  -  beatifull bow; tiller looks fantasic so do the tip and handle details! ...and the arrow, too.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:51:04 am »
I think you can consider your skills properly honed now get to work on that primo stuff youve been hoarding.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 06:39:53 am »
Very nice Gordon,beautiful bow,well done ,all aspect's. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:15:05 am »
 Absolutely beautiful Gordon.  ;)  There doesn't seem to be any wood or style that you can't master. Your attention to detail is top rate as always and love the contrast of the tips to sapwood. Tiller looks perfect, and the braced pic looks like it should grace the cover of one of the Bowyer Bibles. ;)      Keenan

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:30 am »
She is a  beauty Gordon! Haven't seen ya post one in awhile - always a pleasure to look at :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:03:32 pm »
Thats an incedible bow Gordon. Good Job as always. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:33 pm »
You are the master at vine maple. Yew is one of my favorite woods partly to its beautiful color. How would you compare your new bow with the extraordinary vine maple bows you have made?
This bow is certainly a contender for October Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:13:06 pm »
Fine looking weapon, Gordon, and as always, great tiller and detail/finish work. Where's the official full-draw hat?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 12:14:10 pm »
Very !striking bow..!!!I realy like well all of it..

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:50:58 pm »
Don, I don't know if yew will yield a better bow than vine maple when proper designs are employed, but I can certainly understand why many would favor it. I find the look of a longbow with deep and narrow limbs and an oval belly pleasing and such a design is just not practical with vine maple. Also clear yew is quite pleasant to work creating long satisfying curls when it is being scrapped. Of course, when it has knots, it behaves just like vine maple  :P The other thing I like about yew is that it requires no stain to being out the natural beauty of the wood - unlike vine maple. All that said, I still like vine maple because it is abundant (at least in this part of the country), it has character, and you can create incredibly powerful and durable bows from it.

Thank you all for your compliments.
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:27:17 pm »
Great job, Gordon! Tiller is excellent. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Bowbound

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:03 pm »
Nice tips, a nice bow, i hope we will be seeing more of yew ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 02:59:42 pm »
Very nice Gordon.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
Truly and undoubtdely a work of art and an inspiratin to all of us beginners :).

I've always heard yew should be backed with rawhide or the like for durability's sake. Do you think it's really necessary?