Author Topic: looks like a birch?  (Read 6583 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: looks like a birch?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 09:08:59 am »
SB-black birch, sweet birch, cherry birch, all the same tree (Betula lenta). I think most wintergreen is made synthetically now, but at one time there were distilleries here in the western NC mountains that processed wintergreen oil extracted from birch trees. there was a cottage industry here collecting the stuff. Methyl salicylate, or oil of wintergreen, is also found in the wintergreen plant (Gaultheria), and was also extracted from it. Birch beer was also a traditional thing here-people tapped the sweet birches just like you would a sugar maple and collected the sap to ferment.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 06:14:02 pm »

Thanks Hillbilly.  Now I don't feel so too pretty dumb.  Thanks for the edjumacation, on the winter green, also.

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 08:09:18 pm »
SB, I ain't actually that smart, just happened to be reading a book the other day that was talking about wintergreen distilleries here in the mountains. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:16:50 pm »

It still counts.  No one else spoke up.  I know about the birch beer.  My buddy used to make it.

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 09:37:52 pm »
How is it? I've never tried any, always wanted to. I remember hearing my Grandpa talk about making it back in the day.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 09:59:51 pm »

Well what I had and he called Birch beer, he said it was made with birch, but I think it had some Sassafras too.  Tasted like root beer with a kick. In fact it was pretty good.  I don't recall any Winter Green flavor.  Just pretty much like Root Beer, but it had a little extra alcoholic kick.  Not real high, but you could tell it wasn't store bought.  Sort of like near beer.  not a high content.  He was always brewing something or another.  Of course I was always willing to test it.  He made a pretty good wine also. 

Wayne

Offline redwasp

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »
so if i chew on the bark will it make my breath smell better. lol, or mabey give me the runs.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 10:05:37 pm »
Wow, I live a long way from the NE and at first glance would have sworn cherry. I need to work on my tree ID next time I get out that way, hmm...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 10:11:12 pm »
Paul, that's one reason another common name for it is  "cherry birch" :) The bark on young trees looks a lot like cherry bark.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 10:20:27 pm »
That explains it. All the birch I saw - and cherry looked totally different from each other. Thiers whole different critters out there ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 11:25:35 pm »
Redwasp, You can use a twig for a tooth brush. Chew one end until it bristles and use it like a tooth brush...and it has a nice minty taste. ;D 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC