Author Topic: hmm a stick with a string on it  (Read 6324 times)

devilfishsix

hmm a stick with a string on it
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:48:59 am »
i wont call this a bow but i still enjoyed making it and it only puls 30 lb so not going to kill anything, except the odd chicken straying in to my target area, perhaps. thought id show u it so u know what a bow doesnt look like i used para cord and i basically did anything i could so i could shoot something lol and i aint posting the pic of my home made arrows lol. well i enjoyed it and i can sqewer a bale of hay at 30 paces with it lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline John K

Re: hmm a stick with a string on it
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:00:18 am »
Nothing wrong with that ! I wouldn't want to get shot with it !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:06 am »
Looks like one of my first bows.  Is it green or dry?

Have fun and keep at it! ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Bowbound

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 11:03:33 am »
I guess ya gotta start somewhere.

Better than my first attempt which ended in two parts. :D ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:18:43 am »
You can learn all the basics of bow building with a bow like that  8) and in a survival situation it could save your life.   Way to go!  keep it up!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 11:31:26 am »
It reminds me of the very first bow I ever made.I was about eight nine years old took a mullberry limb bent it and tied a piece of kite string to both ends. Took the dowel rod from the kite and lashed a big carpet needle to the end of it . Cut a slot in the other end and reeked havoc on the neighbors and every stray cat I could find. Until my parents figured out what I was doing and that was the end of that.And the beginning of a rather lengthy lecture entitled Thou shalt not kill unless you consume and we do not eat Kitty cats.
               Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

devilfishsix

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 11:36:14 am »
well i am glad u think it looks nice even my mum had a few shots with it and she enjoyed it i used basic peices of bamboo as arrows with cardboard flights bound in with garden wire, lol it is green very u can see the saw i cut it of the tree with this morning its hazel. i used my fishing scales to weigh the pull and i did hear a creek at 40 so im asuming 30 is its weight but id like to make a flat bow next. i cnat get strings pout where i am its miles to a town so used para cord im assuming this is not a good string as braid etc seems to be better iv never actually owned or shot a bow before so i am now in at the deep end of both aspects of the sport not knowing much,thankfully all the info i read here sure helps thank you all oh yes doent a bow return to straight after u remove the string umm mine doesnt lol oh well  >:D

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »
I would call it a bow. And you can kill a deer with a 30 lb bow if your arrow points are sharp enough.  What kind of wood is it?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

devilfishsix

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 12:07:33 pm »
its european hazel i live in france id like to make a bow strong enough for wild boar as they are all over this region im thinking war bow for that but i most likely am wrong lol. ty for the it is a bow comment thats made my day >:D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:51:58 pm »
yup dont kid yourself, a thirty lb bow can kill deer sized game if your shot placement is good,here in mn they just legalized 30 lb draw for deer hunting.
keep it up,your on your way to being addicted if your not by now. ;)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

devilfishsix

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 02:25:41 pm »
well i have to admit i am lol i am constantly reading the how toos and your wonderful comments sure help to inspire and encourage id like to be able to get tillering right learn more about fades and make a more effective way of meauring oull then my fishing scales but iv many autumn days fading to winter ones to try and make a nicer bow ill keep u posted on any failures or succsesses imay have and who knows i may one day win bow of the month! ty again

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 02:31:10 pm »
dont worry about BOM , concentrate your efforts on proper tiller, once you get that down then think about BOM
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

devilfishsix

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 02:55:55 pm »
a fully nice lined bow is my first aim ie tillered right i think a flat self bow will be easist from hazel hope im right

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 11:17:40 pm »
make another one just like that,and bind them together with jute twine!
that should double the lbs!

you know, sometimes we ALL should just go out and build such a bow my friend...
as it teaches us all something different every time we do!

good job.
now do a little scraping and then put some oil on the belly of the bow and strengthen it up a little and you will have a fun little bow!

jamie
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:01:14 am by michbowguy »

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 11:45:22 pm »
You can kill a deer or a grown man with a 30# bow so don't you go shooting it at people!!!!   ;)

The !Kung of the Kalahari use a 15 to 20# bows to hunt large game. Of course their arrows are poisoned! But hey they are doing it!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill