Author Topic: Hornbeam Questioin  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Key

Hornbeam Questioin
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:58:29 pm »
A friend just gave me two real nice hornbeam staves. I have built bows from hickory and Osage but never out of hornbeam, I think some call it Ironwood.
Do I work it like Osage follow the grain or more like hickory? Any designs suggestions for hornbeam?
Thanks in advance for your the  input.
Roger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hornbeam Questioin
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 04:51:37 pm »
Is it hornbeam(smooth bark) or Hophornbeam(scaly bark)?  Hophornbeam would be similar to hickory. I've never worked hornbeam.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Key

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 05:16:49 pm »
The bark is scaly. No knots
Roger

Papa Matt

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:51:42 pm »
If the bark is scaly, it is most likely hop hornbeam. I had a stave of that once, but it got too twisted on me so I burned it. If you have good ones, they can be as good as osage from what I hear. There are many woods called "ironwood". Scaly bark is Hop Hornbeam, and smooth bark as Pat said is just plain Hornbeam, but both may be called "ironwood" just because they are extremely hard and strong.

So since it looks like you've got Hop Hornbeam, work it like Hickory. I've been told to just take the bark off and the first ring you come to is the back, you don't have to touch it.

What state are you in?

~~Papa Matt

Offline Key

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
Papa Matt,
I am in Iowa.
Roger

Papa Matt

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 06:16:17 pm »
Ok, so then you're just a couple states over from me. I'm in Indiana. I'm 99% sure you've got Hop Hornbeam if it's scaly bark. You're lucky, around where I live, it's mostly wooded area, but there aren't that many HHB trees. I've only foudn the one like I said, and it was too twisted to mess with. I should've known when I cut it, just by the bark. The bark went around the tree in a spiral pattern from top to bottom, and after I cut and split the stave it twisted the same way.
If yours doesn't have any knots, and the bark is straight, then you've got some wood that will make killer bows to be proud of.

~~Papa Matt

Offline Key

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 06:30:26 pm »
I am going to take pictures of the two staves and post them here. Will do that tomorrow. I can't find where my wife put the dig camera, grrrr
Roger

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
Pappy posyed a HHB bow last month, look back and take a gander at it.
HHB is white wood so just peel the bark and thats your back, as for the grain always follow the grain regardless of the wood.
Some can handle a few run offs but always best to follow the grain.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 10:30:22 pm »
Hmmmmm....hophornbeam has bark that won't peel.  You'll have to use sandpaper and/or a scraper.  There's a lot of little gullies and crevices......it will be a challenge....but once you've removed the bark, that's it.  The exposed white wood is the back of the bow.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:03:29 pm »
I made one once....that I never stripped the Bark off of....and while in the Tillering Process....it all started to crack off in pieces....turned out really cool with the part of the Cambium that stayed on it......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 12:12:22 am »
"If you have good ones, they can be as good as osage from what I hear"   ::)

Na, its good bow wood but its not osage.  ;)  Be careful not to violate the back ring as the growth rings on hophorn beam are usually small and kind of bumpy. It doesn't handle growth ring violation well at all so chase a ring carfully.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Key

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 11:38:36 am »
Found the camera, pic of my two new staves

[attachment deleted by admin]
Roger

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 11:42:53 am »
                                                Thats looks like 4 Hornbeam Staves to me!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Key

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 11:51:03 am »
yeah, I should be able to get two bows out of each. No knots either
Roger

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 12:19:34 pm »
I'd go for it....as nice as that stuff looks....I can see 4 Bows in it.....but Pappy is the Pro with the Hornbeam....maybe he wil Chime in too.........
2024...We Will Overcome