Author Topic: Point Swap-Final List on page 4  (Read 77272 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Point Swap-Final List on page 4
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »
 That stuff, Paul is top of the line Coral. It's a frustrating bear to work raw, sometimes. If you do cook it try around 450 to 500 dgs. overnite.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2008, 03:05:52 am »
Cant figure it out! I was pressure flaking this evening and was having trouble getting the flakes to run long. The other day I had no trouble at all. Maybe I was not shearing enough? Seems like they were all terminating short for some reason. I was working from flakes and there always seemed to be short terminations where the down turn in the middle of the flake was and I could not seem to run long flakes into it. I was setting up the bulb of percusion as the tip. Hmmm! Maybe that was my problem? maybe I should have just gotten rid of that part and used the flatter sections? Any ideas?  ???
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2008, 03:54:25 am »
Tiller from what you have said i think your problem is not with your presher flacking but with you percussion.
i think it has to do with your cross section, was the point you were working on thinner then the rest? if a point is too thin and dose not have a convex cross section then the flacks will terminate short.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2008, 02:50:33 pm »
Yeah it was kinda flat.  ???
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2008, 05:05:36 pm »
Hey Cowboy    I will be at my friends house in Washington this coming sat. Can't wait to see.
 I will be in Puyallup,Wa. tomorrow Hanging with some flint knappers at a rock show there. I have started a point for Keenan,but have'nt gotten too far yet.There ain't a good spot on this ferry to sit and make sharp flakes.Gotta' wait until I am ashore. If I can get down to Bend in the next month,I may hold off mailing a point,and just hand it to him. ::)  Today we are motoring past the Queen Charlotte Islands(British Columbia)   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2008, 05:11:34 pm »
Frank, you going to be at the Puyallop rock show on Saturday? I will be there for that day.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2008, 07:12:36 pm »
I hope it's there by then Frank, that's where I sent it two days ago. Oh well, if your not there just have them forward it to you :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2008, 09:24:54 pm »
Finally got a bit of time to sit down and knapp out a point for patrick blank (jack Crafty). He said he wanted a point to hunt with. Good thing too as that is about all I can turn out..
Had a few beers tonight and got to knapping.... 10 beers and about 6 hrs later this is what I turned out....

good luck getting that deer....
ya didnt =say u wanted ot mount it to a shaft... tholught u might just throw it at em..

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2008, 09:26:43 pm »
Just kidding patrick...
here is your point. will try to get it out mon.
weighs in at 185 grains.
some sort of damn sandstone......
luck. hope you get one with it.

..... man cant even get the darn date right on the camera... too many heinekens....
N2

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:31 pm »
 Nice point, Wade. That ain't sandstone.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2008, 09:40:21 pm »
Looks good N2. I usually do pretty good three beers later, but by ten beers later I'm usually knocking em in half. Man that's the pits ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2008, 01:19:27 am »
Wha? I'''ss Js STar' en a 10.....!  ? Wa? Yesh da ri ms presh o dent...yash wa ma v te. gi me a bar an cme her on lesh talm bout it!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2008, 09:02:52 am »
Nice'un, Wade. That's some of that Buffalo River chert from TN.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2008, 12:12:29 pm »
  Got home from hunting deer with dogs yesterday and found these waiting on me from Woodbow. Thanks, Jeremy. Those are some great looking points. You have been selling yourself too short on your knapping skills. Thanks for the fibre optic blank and the Cholla cactus, too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida

Offline woodbow1

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:11 pm »
Eddie, glad to see that it got there safe and sound. And glad you like them.  Just in case you are wondering about the materials going left to right in your picture,  high grade kay county,  edwards, carrerra glass,  and the one on the foreshaft is unknown to me.   That fiber optics is some sweet stuff to knap if you have never tried it.  Post a pic when you get a point out of it. 

Talk to you later

Jeremy